coil testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

coil testing

Checking the coils I found some interesting results but my problem is with the secondary windings. I read where the HT wires should read somewhere between 20-50K ohms. On one of the coils, I read 29.2K but on the other coil I get a reading of 86.6K ohms.
    Am I correct in thinking that the higher reading is in need of replacing or is it possible to be something else?
    If it needs replacement should it be done individually or as a pair?
    OEM or aftermarket? I see the OEMs go for $103 each.
    BTW, the 1st test between the coil terminals was supposed to read 5 ohms and mine were at 4.2. Probably close enough(?).
    Thanks,

Larry
    Larry

'79 GS 1000E
    '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
    '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
    '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
    '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
    BTW, the 1st test between the coil terminals was supposed to read 5 ohms and mine were at 4.2. Probably close enough(?).
    Thanks,

Larry
    Close enough.

You should be around 22k from plug cap to plug cap on the secondary side.

in each plug cap you will find a brass screw, remove it. then remove the little resistor located under the brass screw. check the resistance of each of those resistors, they should be around 5k each.

then check the resistance from wire to wire, without the resistors (or plug caps if you like). the value should be around 11k.

if the resistor(s) is(are) found to be bad, replace them with a piece of brass rod and ride it...
    Last edited by rustybronco; 07-15-2009, 02:34 PM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

The resistors are for EMI suppression. You can eliminate them or buy resistor plugs. Either way your bike will run just fine.

Comment

[QUOTE=rustybronco;1048906]Close enough.

in each plug cap you will find a brass screw, remove it. then remove the little resistor located under the brass screw. check the resistance of each of those resistors, they should be around 5k each.

#4 plug cap did not have a brass screw in it. I can tell it is an aftermarket NGK cap but it still does not have a screw in it. Also, I unscrewed the caps on the other 3 caps and now cannot get my ohm meter to read any resistance between 1 & 4. #2 & 3 still shows 29K in ohms but I don't know what has happened for 1 & 4 to not show. I'm getting frustrated now.
        Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

#4 plug cap did not have a brass screw in it. I can tell it is an aftermarket NGK cap but it still does not have a screw in it. Also, I unscrewed the caps on the other 3 caps and now cannot get my ohm meter to read any resistance between 1 & 4. #2 & 3 still shows 29K in ohms but I don't know what has happened for 1 & 4 to not show. I'm getting frustrated now.
          Then remove the plug caps from 1 and 4 and measure the resistance from wire end to wire end; what is that resistance measurement?

what is the resistance measurement of each plug cap; disconnected from the coil wires?
          Last edited by rustybronco; 07-15-2009, 08:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
            Then remove the plug caps from 1 and 4 and measure the resistance from wire end to wire end; what is that resistance measurement?

what is the resistance measurement of each plug cap; disconnected from the coil wires?
            I will do that next but probably will be Saturday before I get the chance to work on it.
            Thanks for your input though. It will come in handy and I will respond with my "new" findings.
            Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

some good news

I found a little bit of time tonight to further check things out with my coil tests. I "yanked" the plug caps off the end of the wires and found what I believe was a bad plug cap install by a PO. After stripping away some wire insulation, I got readings between 1 & 4 of 11.8K ohms and #2 & 3 read 12.1K ohms. This tells me the HT windings of the coil are good and all I need is to replace the old caps with some new ones.
              By the way, only #2 and #3 had the little resistor in the cap which had a spring behind the resistor and those springs both had signs of corrosion on them. It's a wonder the bike ran as well as it did but I feel these bad connections at the cap was definately causing some of the problems I have had in the past.

I am looking for some verification that I am on the right track with this latest find.
              Am I correct in thinking I can pick up some new caps at any automotive parts outlet such as Autozone or O'reillys? Is there anything in particular I need to do as far as putting new caps on? This is a new task for me as you can tell. I just want to be sure to do things right.

It appears as though my coils are OK but I need help in how to check for voltage at the coils. I pulled the orange/white wires apart as well as the white wire but did not get a reading as to the amount of voltage going through those terminals.
              Thanks for your time and input.

How do I check the resistance of the caps once they are removed from the coil wires?
              Last edited by alke46; 07-16-2009, 11:42 PM. Reason: new question
              Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

I found a little bit of time tonight to further check things out with my coil tests. I "yanked" the plug caps off the end of the wires and found what I believe was a bad plug cap install by a PO. After stripping away some wire insulation, I got readings between 1 & 4 of 11.8K ohms and #2 & 3 read 12.1K ohms. This tells me the HT windings of the coil are good and all I need is to replace the old caps with some new ones.
                By the way, only #2 and #3 had the little resistor in the cap which had a spring behind the resistor and those springs both had signs of corrosion on them. It's a wonder the bike ran as well as it did but I feel these bad connections at the cap was definately causing some of the problems I have had in the past.
                No need to yank them off, they un-screw.

I am looking for some verification that I am on the right track with this latest find.
                verified.
                Am I correct in thinking I can pick up some new caps at any automotive parts outlet such as Autozone or O'reillys? Is there anything in particular I need to do as far as putting new caps on? This is a new task for me as you can tell. I just want to be sure to do things right.
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...08&postcount=3
                order from Z1

How do I check the resistance of the caps once they are removed from the coil wires?
                from end to end, just like you did with the coils.
                Last edited by rustybronco; 07-17-2009, 11:52 AM. Reason: link and order from Z1

Comment

I'm getting there

Well I got new caps for my plugs and the readings from the ohm meter look a lot better. Here are the before and after readings:

before new caps vs. after new caps
                  #1 & #4 == 86.6K ohms vs. 21.2K ohms
                  #2 & #3 == 29.2K ohms vs. 21.9K ohms

However, the ohm readings at the coil terminals went from 4.2 ohms down to 2.4 & 2.5 ohms. That plus the voltage at the coil terminals is only 10.9v & 10.7v.

Did the new plug caps and newly trimmed plug wire cause the resistance drop from the mid 4s to the mid 2s? And is this good or bad?

And what about the voltage being in the 10.8 range? I have read somewhere on this forum that this might be normal, however I have also seen where it needs to be around 12.0 and anything less would be cause to suspect faulty connections.

Opinions please or advice. I would appreciate both.
                  Thanks
                  Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

Well I got new caps for my plugs and the readings from the ohm meter look a lot better. Here are the before and after readings:

before new caps vs. after new caps
                    #1 & #4 == 86.6K ohms vs. 21.2K ohms
                    #2 & #3 == 29.2K ohms vs. 21.9K ohms

However, the ohm readings at the coil terminals went from 4.2 ohms down to 2.4 & 2.5 ohms. That plus the voltage at the coil terminals is only 10.9v & 10.7v.

Did the new plug caps and newly trimmed plug wire cause the resistance drop from the mid 4s to the mid 2s? And is this good or bad?

And what about the voltage being in the 10.8 range? I have read somewhere on this forum that this might be normal, however I have also seen where it needs to be around 12.0 and anything less would be cause to suspect faulty connections.

Opinions please or advice. I would appreciate both.
                    Thanks
                    Do a search for "coil mod"
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                      Do a search for "coil mod"
                      I plead ignorance to a lot of electrical stuff but would a coil mod be the magic panacea as opposed to making sure all connections are clean and the grounds are all good?

Not trying to start anything here but it just seems like the good connections would be a required step before going with a coil mod.

I'm just looking for answers.
                      Larry

'79 GS 1000E

Comment

I plead ignorance to a lot of electrical stuff but would a coil mod be the magic panacea as opposed to making sure all connections are clean and the grounds are all good?
                        All you want to strive for, is proper voltage at the coils. however you arrive at it is your choice.

I would go through the wiring and fix what is needed.
                        it just seems like the good connections would be a required step before going with a coil mod.
                        don't forget about bad contacts and the resultant voltage drops, like inside the ignition switch.
                        Last edited by rustybronco; 07-21-2009, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Not trying to start anything here but it just seems like the good connections would be a required step before going with a coil mod.
                          I don't do the coil mod--my coils spark fine. Recently my starter relay would sometimes not fire. It was getting 7.5 out of 12.5 volts. The ignition switch is new, and I cleaned the starter & kill switch and now I get 8 volts and the problem is solved, for now.

The remaining 4.5 lost volts are evenly distributed through the 10 corroded connections the circuit makes through the wiring harness. Contact cleaner didn't help and most of these connectors are tiny. If I still had the problem I could spend several weekends replacing all the molex blocks with bulky bullet connectors or throw in a relay. I would throw in a relay.

Comment

Nothing replaces clean connections. I was losing volts from the kill switch. That is the reason I did the mod.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                              Nothing replaces clean connections. I was losing volts from the kill switch. That is the reason I did the mod.
                              Yep. I had a brand new wiring harness and had 9.5 at the coils.

Comment

Working...
                              X