Coils

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coils

Good day all... I have a1979 GS 1000 E. I was riding the other day with my wife , we had gone about 20 miles and the bike started runing on two cyl. I made it back to my house, thank god... When I got home I took out the plugs and found that #2 and #3 cyl were not firing. I had new condenser's so I put them on and there was no change. So i think it is the coils? Each cyl is fed by a diferent coil ##3 right and #2 left. Has this happened to anyone and can you help? Thanks

Check to make sure you have voltage to the coils as it could be a bad connection. The primary side should read 3-5 ohms and the secondary side - plug to plug should read 30k-50k ohms. That's what the manual says for mine and yours shouldn't be too far off those figures.

Comment

Ccoils

Checked voltage 12+ at connections. 5 ohms for each coil. Not sure if i did this right, checked plug wire to plug wire for the left coil #2 and #3 got 105k, the right coil was 36k wire to wire..

Comment

Originally posted by Mitch View Post
        Good day all... I have a1979 GS 1000 E. I was riding the other day with my wife , we had gone about 20 miles and the bike started runing on two cyl. I made it back to my house, thank god... When I got home I took out the plugs and found that #2 and #3 cyl were not firing. I had new condenser's so I put them on and there was no change. So i think it is the coils?

Each cyl is fed by a diferent coil ##3 right and #2 left. Has this happened to anyone and can you help? Thanks

The left coil fires cylinders 1 and 4. The right coil fires 2 and 3. Sounds like you have your wires wrong and thats why 2,3 are not working.

Earl
        Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

checked plug wire to plug wire for the left coil #2 and #3 got 105k, the right coil was 36k wire to wire..
          On the coil that measured 105K, remove the plug caps (boots) from the coil wires and re-measure; you should then read around 26K.
          if all is well with that resistance measurement, measure the resistance of each plug cap; they should read around 5K each.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Checked voltage 12+ at connections. 5 ohms for each coil. Not sure if i did this right, checked plug wire to plug wire for the left coil #2 and #3 got 105k, the right coil was 36k wire to wire..
            Thanks I will go back the the drawing board, i think that the right coil went bad, 2 and 3 have no spark. 1 and 4 have spark . thanks again

Comment

Working...
            X