Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New GS owner...how many miles before fill up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, didn't you know it's easier to push the bike to a gas station than it is to flip a lever?

(That is for us OLD farts that can't always remember to look at the gauge. )

By the way ... there is an advantage to using REServe a little more often. Water is heavier than gas and tends to collect at the bottom of the tank. If you never hit REServe, there might just be a lot of water down there. By using REServe every so often (not necessarily all the time) you will minimize that build-up.

Last edited by Steve; 07-17-2009, 09:33 AM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      Yeah, didn't you know it's easier to push the bike to a gas station than it is to flip a lever?

(That is for us OLD farts that can't always remember to look at the gauge. )
      When it gets to "E" I have 1.5 gallons left...
      OLD! I resemble that remark...
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
        When it gets to "E" I have 1.5 gallons left...
        Yeah, but you actually have to LOOK at the gauge every so often and try to remember when it hit the big E.
        Sometimes the ride is so nice that it's nice to have that little slap on the face that says "move the lever, dummy".

All that being said, my Wing does not have a lever.

It does not have a REServe.

It does, however, have a big ol' light on the dash panel that comes on when there is 1.3 gallons left in the tank.
        My problem is that the sending unit for that light is not working, so I HAVE to watch the gauge. (ever try pushing a Wing?)

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I wanted to chime in here about using the reserve tank too, because this is something I've been thinking about. It's obvious that RES will save you if you actually run that low on gas and need to flip it to get to a gas station - I know this is controversial but it seems to me there is just A LOT of gas down there that is reserved for emergencies that might as well be used normally.

I have a 650G - I believe the tank capacity is 3.9 gal but I usually fill up before having to switch to RES - every 120 miles or so - and I usually get in about 2.5 ti 2.7 gal - that leaves over a whole gallon in reserve which is like 25% of the tank's capacity.

I want to use it but I'm also afraid of running out of gas, and I feel like I'm not suppose to be using it normally - that's why they call it "reserve" right. It just feels like I'm always going to the gas station just to top off a tank that still has more than a little gas in it.

- Brad

Comment

Working...
          X