Can you see your battery water level?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can you see your battery water level?

I've always bought Yuasa brand. They use that milky white plastic casing.
    I admit my eyesight isn't what it used to be but I can't believe how difficult it is to watch the level rise as you pour in water. Even with good outside lighting I find it difficult. I've always done it with the battery mounted but I may have to start removing it if it helps to see.
    Do any of you have the same problem? What do you do to make it easier?
    I tried adding with a small syringe and that made the job more difficult. The water went in too slowly. It seems I have to add a larger volume of water so I've always used a small funnel and a cup. This makes the level rise up abruptly and makes it easier to see what's happening. Many times I can't initially see the water level and without knowing exactly where to look I miss seeing it rise. This results in over filling and then you have to remove some of the water. Something so simple but can be a PITA.
    Is removing the battery the best way or is there a tip you can offer to see the level easier? I don't know why the casing can't be made a little more transparent but I know it is what it is. Years ago the batteries were usually clear cased.
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

I usually put a really bright flashlight on one side of the battery and look at the other side, it is the only way I can tell what the levels are.

EDIT: Just to go off on a rant, ... with the state of science and tech today it really should be much simpler to figure out how much water is in a cell!
    Last edited by Guest; 07-24-2009, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Keith, how come you haven't as yet gone with an AGM fit & forget? Sooo much better, in terms of convenience and charge-retention.
      Anyway, the best way I found, to fill & maybe remove a tiny bit of excess on occasion, was with an eye dropper that comes included with some eye meds. I got 2 for a buck at the dollar store, in a slightly larger size, and they work great to regulate how much fluid goes in the battery.

Tony.
      '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
        Keith, how come you haven't as yet gone with an AGM fit & forget? Sooo much better...

Tony.
        HMMMMMMMMMMMM... Yeah why?

Comment

I too use a sealed glass mat battery, so there's no need to add anything.

Comment

I remove the battery and "try" to look for the fluid level in different lights/angles.
            at times I have had to shine a flashlight through it, while gently sloshing the fluid around.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by JHawkins View Post
              I usually put a really bright flashlight on one side of the battery and look at the other side, it is the only way I can tell what the levels are.

EDIT: Just to go off on a rant, ... with the state of science and tech today it really should be much simpler to figure out how much water is in a cell!
              I believe I tried a flashlight once and in my case it didn't seem to help. Maybe the light wasn't strong enough.
              As I'm sitting here, I think next time I'll try putting the light down into the cell hole? I just remembered that method helped me see the level in my sons coolant reservior on his truck. His white casing has become so discolored/stained I can't see the level any other way. Even then, I can only check it when it's getting dark out. He can't see the level either and his eyesight is good.
              Part of this problem is probably my eyes but they aren't THAT bad. I used to be able to see the level by putting the bike on the centerstand (as it needs to be anyway) and lifting the handlebar, raising the bike off the ground. This made the level move and caught my eye enough to see what I was doing. That method doesn't seem to work now.
              It really is kind of dumb that the casing can't be made a little more transparent or with a window or clear strip or something.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Sealed glass mat battery? I haven't looked into them.
                Is this the same as a gel battery or ?
                I guess because I've always bought the same Yuasa battery for my GS all these years I don't bother to check out other options. My ZX14 has a gel battery.

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
                  I too use a sealed glass mat battery, so there's no need to add anything.
                  OK. Checked it out. Seems like a good battery. I wonder how it compares to a gel battery, if a gel battery is made for the GS line?
                  I've always had the local shop "trickle" charge my new battery and I pick it up the next day. If you buy the sealed battery it says you pour in the fluid yourself. For best life, don't you have to trickle charge it initially or do you just take the bike out on a long run the first time? I have a Battery Tender Plus charger but I don't know if it's considered a trickle charger.

Comment

Oh, I forgot to ask. How much for the sealed glass mat battery?

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                      Sealed glass mat battery? I haven't looked into them.
                      Is this the same as a gel battery or ?
                      I guess because I've always bought the same Yuasa battery for my GS all these years I don't bother to check out other options. My ZX14 has a gel battery.
                      AGM (absorbed glass mat) batteries make the old water and cell style versions redundant. They come fully charged, crank the bike over much faster and virtually never need charged. My bikes sit out in my unheated garage through an entire PA winter - I don't disconnect the Big Cranks, or recharge them. They never fail to start the bikes up each time spring rolls around. I bought my first one in 2004 and it's still going strong;

Check out the deal on USA-Made Big Crank™ ETX15L Battery at BatteryMart.com

Comment

Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries, Yeah!

I installed an AGM battery in mine 2 and a half years ago, and haven't had a problem with it since. Terminals don't corrode, never have to worry about water levels either. Mine ran me about $80 I think.

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                          OK. Checked it out. Seems like a good battery. I wonder how it compares to a gel battery, if a gel battery is made for the GS line?
                          I've always had the local shop "trickle" charge my new battery and I pick it up the next day. If you buy the sealed battery it says you pour in the fluid yourself. For best life, don't you have to trickle charge it initially or do you just take the bike out on a long run the first time? I have a Battery Tender Plus charger but I don't know if it's considered a trickle charger.
                          It's been a few years since I bought mine, so I don't recall the price exactly, but I think it was around 80 bucks too.
                          I bought it from my local dealer and they filled it and charged it for me for free. I just swapped em my old battery.

I'm not sure how it compares to a gel battery. I found this info online. Seems like AGM is the way to go.

Comment

Another plus with the AGM is you don't have to worry about acid running all over your bike, corroding it and causing rust.

Comment

Working...
                            X