Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone have an idea what year this is off of?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

anyone have an idea what year this is off of?

Please dont tell me you are considering putting that on your 750??

Comment

But,but..http://www.thegsresources.com/_scrip...php?RegID=1020

Comment

Do you realize how much that cost to do that? Honestly? if you REALLY want it to look like that, then by all means, have at it. but if you're trying to get performance gains, you're better off buying a newer bike. Thats THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of dollars wrapped up in that. And, IMO, if you're going to do that, you might want to get a larger motored bike and make it worth while. Also, keep in mind you will NEVER EVER EVER get the money you put into that bike out of it if you get bored with it and decide to sell it, or lose interest or whatever. So if you're gonna do it, make sure you plan on keeping it, or dont care about throwing thousands of dollars down the drain.

Comment

Well, I was looking at it as if i got the swingarm reasonable, and iIF there wasn't a huge amount involved changing it over, it would be worth it. There are a pantload of great,used monoshocks that would do the trick. Not a bad look either. I did not realize that it would be such a large expense. I wouldn't be able to get out of her what I already have invested.

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
            Well, I was looking at it as if i got the swingarm reasonable, and iIF there wasn't a huge amount involved changing it over, it would be worth it. There are a pantload of great,used monoshocks that would do the trick. Not a bad look either. I did not realize that it would be such a large expense. I wouldn't be able to get out of her what I already have invested.
            Well, the point of putting that arm on your bike is to run a wider tire with modern suspension in back. That will require frame modifications as well. Then, after you get that done, you have to do something with the front. What could you possibly have invested in that thing? You practicly stole that exhaust from me Im just not sure why you are dead set on modding the crap out of that bike, or what gains you expect? Is it purely a looks thing?

Comment

I suppose it is looks. That bike of 1978gs1000custom tooks kinad cool. I was just looking into it as a project. Going to 850cc is worth it as long as the price stays low, but there is an appreciable gain for little effort, plus i can bead blast those jugs at my leisure. I didn't know what all was involved in using that swingarm

Comment

I'm up to $1600 at least. I know it's not that bad. It is worth that to me, seeing as there are many for sale for at least that much, and who knows how much they may need put into them. The mods were just an idea, and if the parst could be had on the cheap, it seemed looking into the details.

Comment

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
                  I'm up to $1600 at least. I know it's not that bad. It is worth that to me, seeing as there are many for sale for at least that much, and who knows how much they may need put into them. The mods were just an idea, and if the parst could be had on the cheap, it seemed looking into the details.
                  Well, for starters, if you went with a monoshock, You'll be looking at quite a bit of frame work to make the brace and bone for the top of the shock. Ive priced doing a Gixxer/bandit mod to a couple of bikes. For starters, you'll want to use for the rear as much stuff from the same bike as possible, to keep compatability simple. Then for the front end, you need to do the same. If you luck into a complete set up, with EVERYTHING you need, say, for 7-800ish, you still have the welding to do, mod the stops, mod the frame, sort out gauges, brackets, deal with ground clearance issues if you have any...etc etc etc. Its not just a slap together and go thing. It takes A LOT of work, A LOT of time and planning, and A LOT of money. in the end, you may get something that looks awesome, but really doesnt handle all that much better than stock, or you get some pile of crappy parts and an unrideable bike, and an empty wallet. I think, before you really start looking at buying parts, you should do a bit of reading on the bikes that people have done this to. Ask questions, investigate. You may be surprised at how much effort it actually takes to make it look good. If you had another bike to ride while doing this project, it migth be a different story. But for some of these guys, it took them months, even YEARS to find and put everything together. Let alone the cost and then making it look good.

Comment

That was what I was asking. If it's going to be glose to a G, it really isn't worth it. Even if a salvage bike came up, they still have a high price considering all the unused equipment that is bought. The one-off custom appeal is cool, but like you're saying, the geometry will be a tricky thing to get right as well. But ya gotta admit, this does look sic:
                    Attached Files

Comment

its more in labor than parts. kids right, should use a bigger bike. pearl cost 300.00 in stock bad condition. i have about 1400.00 in parts and 3 months labor. as far as the modding keep in mind that there alot of fabrication involved and some special equipment required (frame gig, tig welder, lathe, mill, ect.) pearl was created all in house to save money. you can sub out some of the hard work but in the end you will be right where the kid said (with a bike thats got more invested than you can get out of it) also keep in mind that pearl was created as a tribute to the 79 wes cooley bike with all the modern twists. as far as converting a (L) model the look might not be there. as far as preformance goes, pearl will do anything my 1983 gs1100E will do only a bit faster and alot more control in the turns. kids right also about another bike to ride. i collect bikes and have garages full of them so one sitting on the table for a few months or years is no big deal. my best advise is keep your bike as it is and find another bike as a project. that way you can modify and learn as you go. craigs list is a great place to start. a gs1000 or 1100 in sad shape comes cheap and is the best place to start. if i had a good condition 78 gs1000 to start with i wouldnt have done this. the bike i started with was basiclly a parts bike that was saved. i hope some of this makes sence.... cliff

Comment

That all adds up now. I do agree to NOT do this to my only ride. Or anything so extreme. But looking forward with info is the only way to not get in a hurry. My bike is my first and currently only bike, but as everyone knows on here, that's how it ALL starts. Thanks in advance. BTW, what is this swingarm from?? And--better yet, if I'm not getting it, someone here probably better!

Comment

Way to shoot Him down guys...
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                          X