Having doubts about model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raz,

The bike has US spec gauges for a G not a GL. Canada had a KPH speedo.

the lift/grab rail on the left side is for a G model, the GL didn't have a lift/grab rail.

the rear fender is plastic, a GL was chrome.

the tail piece is for a G model and it is the correct one. I'm not sure of the color, but IIRC that color was used in '81.

what I can see of the seat, it is correct for a 80-81 G model and it is missing the grab rail. the GL was a higher stepped seat.

as already said by others, the front forks are for a G model.

the hinges that are welded to the frame on the left side, for the seat, are directly above the upper stud of the rear shock and directly above the rear lower corner of the fuse box.

the plastic cover over the swing arm pivot is correct for a 80-81 model and either the chrome center trim is missing, or it is painted black.

the carbs are wrong for the 80-81 models, but without a closer pictures or measurements its hard to tell what they are or may be off of.

as was previously said, the tank is incorrect for the 80-81 G model.

the handle bars are incorrect.

would you like to discuss the bike further?
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
      Raz,

The bike has US spec gauges for a G not a GL. Canada had a KPH speedo.

the lift/grab rail on the left side is for a G model, the GL didn't have a lift/grab rail.

the rear fender is plastic, a GL was chrome.

the tail piece is for a G model and it is the correct one. I'm not sure of the color, but IIRC that color was used in '81.

what I can see of the seat, it is correct for a 80-81 G model and it is missing the grab rail. the GL was a higher stepped seat.

as already said by others, the front forks are for a G model.

the hinges that are welded to the frame on the left side, are directly above the upper stud of the rear shock and directly above the rear lower corner of the fuse box.

the plastic cover over the swing arm pivot is correct for a 80-81 model and either the chrome center trim is missing, or it is painted black.

the carbs are wrong for the 80-81 models, but without a closer pictures or measurements its hard to tell what they are or may be off of.

as was previously said, the tank is incorrect for the 80-81 G model.

the handle bars are incorrect.

would you like to discuss the bike further?
      Yah what *I* think he actually has is maybe an 80 850 frame with a 79 motor in it (VM carbs/head) The body parts are interchangeable from the 79 and 80-81, so no problems there, just be aware you have mechanical VM carbs instead of the 80 and on BS constant velocity vaccum type (actually, IMO, you're lucky...lol)

Comment

Doesn't look like a US gl model to me, gl's have a different muffler mount point

Comment

The engine # is 119135 and the frame # is 117797 so from what I could find they are both numbers corresponding to 1980 models. Someone mentioned in my initial thread about this frankenbike that it was possible that early '80 models had some '79 parts on them which could explain why I have VM carbs (from what I've read I prefer those over the CVs). The bike had not been registered for road use since 1993 so it's very possible that the PO bought a GS1000 tank for it not knowing it would not fit properly. It's frustrating because every time I think I'm closer to getting it on the road something else comes up that delays me!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            Yah what *I* think he actually has is maybe an 80 850 frame with a 79 motor in it (VM carbs/head)
            IIRC with his past posts, he had no kick starter.
            79 head? VM's on a 80-up head? who knows at this point.

Raz, please verify presence or not of the kick starter.

Comment

IIRC with his past posts, he had no kick starter.
              79 head? VM's on a 80-up head? who knows at this point.

Im not sure the 79 head will swap right over to the 80 jugs...THo i suppose you could always swap the whole top end... never read that much into it...

Comment

Definitely no kick starter.

Comment

Hrmmmm...its a mystery then.. I wish i could see more detail of your motor, but its all black..and shiney....Looks good actually. I was actually admiring the final drive. It looks good in black. Think i might do that to my 1000G should i decide to keep it and "customize it" a little..

Comment

Your bike could win the bad PO contest, if there was one

I notice the tank does not fit up to the steering head, thus the gap at the rear.
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

[QUOTE=Big T;1057595]Your bike could win the bad PO contest, if there was one

You're not kidding!! The story I got from the PO was that he had been working on restoring this bike for about 3 years off and on (he did provide me with alot of receipts for mechanical parts purchased). He concentrated on the mechanical aspects but then he lost his job and he needed the money. It ran pretty well when I went to look at it. I thought I had done my homework but I guess not very thoughourly. He did paint the frame, motor and just about everything else and did a pretty good job of it. I'm still wondering why he would have cut the frame tabs where the seat hinges connect?

Comment

Originally posted by razooki View Post
                        Originally posted by Big T View Post
                        Your bike could win the bad PO contest, if there was one
                        I'm still wondering why he would have cut the frame tabs where the seat hinges connect?
                        It looks like they were starting to cafe' it.

I can get you measurements, placement and detailed pictures of the weld brackets, I you need them.

Comment

I can get you measurements, placement and detailed pictures of the weld brackets, I you need them.
                          That would be great thanks. Any idea what I could use for the other half of the hinges?

Now I just have to find a proper tank for it. Maybe I should take pics of the GS1000E tank that I have and see if anyone wants to trade.

Comment

Post a parts wanted.

you could make them, but would it be worth the time?

Comment

you could make them, but would it be worth the time?
                              I'm open to suggestions. I initially wanted to adapt a VFR800 seat to it and I had the pan attach to the cross member on top of the battery and the side rails on the frame with some heavy duty spring clamps. I guess I can probably do the same with this original seat. I just hate having to mod a perfectly good seat pan.

Comment

Working...
                              X