Who cleans carbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tom MLC View Post
    RenoBruce does a B*TCHIN job on carb re-building. He's done two racks for me so far. And he doesn't discriminate. He'll even does work for folks from Texas!

Check out some of his work here. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=141007
    I'll vouch for Bruce and the Texas carb services...

Comment

Originally posted by woodsietx View Post
      It's the location I have to work on it that's the problem. The bike is in a garage that has been turned into a kennel for 22 or 23 Great Dane puppies. I CANNOT do any chemical stuff inside, Plus it's not a proper shop. To do my gas tank cleaning, I had to set up a table in the driveway to work on.
      I'm sure RustyBronco had his tongue in his cheek when he suggested that.
      The point I'm trying to make is, where there is a will there is a way.

Have you ever tried to overhaul a ford 8" rear axle at the side of the road? I have and
      you can too! (in reality, it was a case replacement because I ripped the pinion out of it )

good luck and all the best with your project.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

My last chance to ask advice about removing carburetors. In the AM, they're coming off.

Duneage recommended using silicon lube on the boots, I have some. He suggested pulling them out the left side. I have a handheld impact, I have read notes about removing the airbox screws... I even remember a throttle cable tip involving turning the throttle open after the carbs are loose. My laptop will be there with a copy of the shop manual open.

Anything else I should look for or do?

I realize that to most of you this is SOP as a GS owner but I've never done this much work by myself to one of my bikes. I appreciate your patience with the posts.

Woodsie

Think I'm bad now, wait until I have to get it back together.

Comment

Hi,

You are going to have so much fun! Even if you don't actually take all of your carbs apart you'll derive great satisfaction wrenching on your bike.

My laptop will be there with a copy of the shop manual open.

Anything else I should look for or do?
          I usually just print out the pages I need instead of taking one of my computers to the garage. I don't like getting greasy fingerprints on the keyboard and screen.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Another update to the carburetor saga.

The carbs are off. It turned out much easier than I hoped only because of what I've read on here. I have a series of pictures I'll get up into another album. I may have screwed up the choke and found an unknown washer/spacer. I ask about those issues in another thread.

I can see where carb #1 has definite signs of rust on the butterfly where the others don't. Other than that the carbs look pretty clean. All of the boots on both sides of the carb are in good shape as well. I think from their condition, I won't need to replace any.

Album here:

The oil fill cap gasket is bad. I also could not get the oil sending unti bolt out. I didn't want to do anything to damage it. The new petcock is holding fuel.

The engine looks nice because it has been painted. I hope this doesn't mean the paint covered up a serious leak. There's overspray on the downtubes in front of the filter cover. The stator cover has been off because the OEM screws have been replaced with little black hex heads.

Basscliff, you certainly are right about doing any wrenching at all changing how one feels about the bike. I'm learning new things about it every time I work on it. Can't wait to ride it soon.

Woodsie

Comment

Oh my goodness Mr. Woodsietx, I owe you such an apology, I am so so so so so so so sorry, I just got back to this post and saw my error in your name. I offer my most sincere apologies, dude I would never do that,holy cow I just saw it how I butchered your name, I am so sorry. I am giving this apology in public since it was seemed to be a public slam, I don't do that, especially to a person whom I have never met. Again I am very sorry...

Comment

I was never upset. You're not the first. I just laugh at it now.

Woodsie

Comment

Thanks, good for you but that would be really uncool. Hows the bike?

Comment

Another update to the carburetor saga.

found an unknown washer/spacer. I ask about those issues in another thread.

Woodsie
                    That looks like the rear fuel tank mounting grommet. one that goes between the bolt and the tank, or the tank and the frame.
                    it is number 11 or 12 in this drawing.
                    Last edited by rustybronco; 08-08-2009, 10:00 PM.
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                    X