Tire questions but for my 88 BMW K75

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire questions but for my 88 BMW K75

Apologize for posting this in tech forum if it really belongs Off-topic...but it was tires so I figured it fits.

So here's the deal, on Monday evening I noticed a small/thin peice of metal sticking out of my tire right between the tread (in the valley) almost dead-center of the tire.

Don't know how long its been there, but doing soap/water test I observed it IS losing air.

So what to do....

Plug/Patch? Seems to be mixed opinions out there. Majority seem to think plugs are good if you're on the side of the road, but the tire should be replaced.

The tire on the bike is fairly low-mileage, its a Dunlop 491 Elite II, MT90R17 76H (as best I could read in the poor lighting I had last night).

I noted that this is a different size tire than is listed on the sticker on the side of the bike. It rides great in my opinion but it's the tire that came on the bike so I have no comparison to the stock tire size.

Riding style probably plays in to this decision....I am definately a SPORT-tour rider. I like the cornering capabilities of this tire and it's comfortable on the highway as well.

I know some buy tires online, then have someone mount/balance them...I will have to ask the shop if they'll do this....

Can't find a shop in town that will plug/patch it (perhaps more to do with the fact that they SELL tires...but nevertheless).

I've had 2 suggestions for going with the stock tire size. Makes sense, don't have enough experience to say what different a 17 vs 18 inch tire...(also, not sure how to compare the size of what's on there with stock 120/90x18.

Also, shop has in stock both 491 and 404 in the 120/90x18 size....dude says the 404 is sticker but won't last as long but is more of a Sport tire where the 491 is more of a touring tire......also 491 is $160....404 is on sale for $80.00.

[he estimates 6-8000 miles out of the 404, 10-12,000 out of the 491 but realistically the tire would probably be 3-4 years old by the time it wore out]

I'd lean towards the tire with more grip, given that I could replace it again and be within the same cost range.....

Shop won't work on the bike, but if I remove the wheel and bring it in, they'll mount/balance for $22.50.

Waiting for BMW shop to call me back........

Thanks oh wise ones!

Thanks!

I put Avon Road Riders on my K100LT, also on all the Suzukis. It is a great handling tire.
    Going to use them on the R1100RT next time too.
    Go with the sizes recommended by BMW, they know what they are doing.
    Order them online, $160-something delivered for the pair, I can help you put them on if you need it.
    Last edited by tkent02; 08-05-2009, 01:08 PM.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by jbs80106 View Post
      Plug/Patch? Seems to be mixed opinions out there. Majority seem to think plugs are good if you're on the side of the road, but the tire should be replaced.
      A plug patch would be the best if your going to plug it. (I would if it were mine)

Originally posted by jbs80106 View Post
      The tire on the bike is fairly low-mileage, its a Dunlop 491 Elite II, MT90R17 76H (as best I could read in the poor lighting I had last night).

[he estimates 6-8000 miles out of the 404, 10-12,000 out of the 491 but realistically the tire would probably be 3-4 years old by the time it wore out]
      I have around 16-17,000 miles on my 491 Elite II and it's a little more than half worn away.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

First off, the Elite II in that size has been discontinued for at least three or four years. I'd seriously consider replacing it due to age anyway.

Without seeing the object stuck in the tire, there's no way to tell whether I'd try to patch/plug it or not. I've happily ridden on several plugged tires, so I'm not opposed to the idea.

As you'll find discussed many other places on this site, the very best modern tires for vintage machines are Avon AM26 RoadRiders or Pirelli Sport Demons. I don't think your German machine will object too much to British "tyres". (The Pirellis are an Italian brand, but made in Brazil. Can't think of a joke for that.)

The Elite II compound is hard as a rock, and the chassis is super-stiff. They last forever, but they're very numb-feeling in the dry and somewhat spooky in the rain compared to a softer, more compliant tire.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Working...
        X