Who is your favorite tire supplier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who is your favorite tire supplier?

Not looking to start a discussion on tires, just want to know ... where do you get them?

Getting close to time to change tires on the Wing and this time around, I have time to do some shopping.
    I usually just go up the road a few minutes and get them at Tires Unlimited. Might even take them home this time and try to mount them.

Just need to know if I fetch them from TU again or wait for a UPS delivery.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

I don't know how it works up where you are , but I get mine from a local cage tyre supplier . Cheapest down here by up to $30 a tyre and no charge to fit and balance them. Cheers,Simon.
    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...esMapSimon.jpg

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Tires unlimited.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Best prices overall that I found for tires is Dennis Kirk.

Comment

Best deal changes every time i need to buy new tires.

Comment

It seems like there is always a price drop AFTER I buy tires

Comment

Tires Unlimited ..

Comment

I'm stuck with internet vendors, local places here don't keep "these old crapper kinds of tires". Scanned the suppliers for a few weeks before last Christmas looking for a set of Demons for the 850. Close call between Dennis Kirk and Motorcycle superstore right up until the week before Christmas itself. Dennis Kirk sent me a 20% discount on $200 or more code by email, pair of Demons were just over by a couple of bucks so got the pair for around $165. Was a great deal until I went to the local stealers to get them fitted to the rims... robbin ba$tards! Have a go at fitting them yourself and let us know how you get on. Prolly going to try it myself this winter with the 1100, never done it before either.
                It's smoke that make electronic components work.
                Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
                '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
                '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
                '82 GS1000SZ
                '82 GS1100GL
                '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

Since most of you guys like the AM26 Roadriders, for my bike (100/90-19) and (130/90-16) tires unlimited wants $210.39 delivered. Dennis Kirk is $181.98 delivered.

Please explain to me why buying from TU is a better way to go.

Comment

Bike Bandit, i got mine cheap and they came fast

Comment

mounting

Steve, I live in beavercreek and you helped me with those carbs for my brothers bike. Well to the point now. I have bought tires their (TU) and I think that they are about the best price usually around. But I was told they dont even mount them there and I was told they take them across they street to a company called autotech unlimited. Last one I bought at TU took across street to Autotech and was quite pleased with price. They charge alittle more for taking them off bike. call them if you want a price. The place does not even really look like a auto repair shop so if u go there remember it is across the street a couple buildings down if I remember correctly. Hopes this helps. Lets not give TU any reason to charge us more. SHHHH

Comment

I buy used cracked tires off Fleabay.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Sure you do... lol:

How close are you to fire that beast up are you anyway?
                          Three weeks 'til Shasta.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by 67fire View Post
                            Sure you do... lol:

How close are you to fire that beast up are you anyway?
                            Three weeks 'til Shasta.

Eric
                            Fired it up Monday evening.
                            I need to degree in the cams and sync the carbs. Good to go.
                            Oh yeah, retourque the head and adjust the valves.
                            Last edited by chef1366; 08-07-2009, 01:59 AM.
                            1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                            1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                              I don't know how it works up where you are , but I get mine from a local cage tyre supplier . Cheapest down here by up to $30 a tyre and no charge to fit and balance them. Cheers,Simon.
                              Enjoy that while you can. Tires Unlimited sells tires for everything from wheelbarrows to airplanes and charges $30 each to mount and balance.

Originally posted by nert View Post
                              Best deal changes every time i need to buy new tires.
                              OK, so the deal changes, but where all do you look? I am looking for vendor names.

Originally posted by Wallowgreen View Post
                              I'm stuck with internet vendors, ... . Close call between Dennis Kirk and Motorcycle superstore ... Was a great deal until I went to the local stealers to get them fitted to the rims... robbin ba$tards! Have a go at fitting them yourself ...
                              OK, which internet vendors??? Some local dealers (stealers) won't mount tires they did not sell, claiming it's a liability issue. I have mounted Suzuki tires many times, just have never done it on my Wing.

Originally posted by dirtracer12x View Post
                              Bike Bandit, i got mine cheap and they came fast
                              Unfortunately, the selection at Bike Bandit is rather limited in the sizes that fit my Wing. Price is not bad for what they have, but it's not my preference in brand.

Originally posted by buckeyemike View Post
                              Steve, I live in beavercreek and you helped me with those carbs for my brothers bike. Well to the point now. I have bought tires their (TU) and I think that they are about the best price usually around. But I was told they dont even mount them there and I was told they take them across they street to a company called autotech unlimited. Last one I bought at TU took across street to Autotech and was quite pleased with price. They charge alittle more for taking them off bike. call them if you want a price. The place does not even really look like a auto repair shop so if u go there remember it is across the street a couple buildings down if I remember correctly. Hopes this helps. Lets not give TU any reason to charge us more. SHHHH
                              Mike, I remember you.

As I mentioned in the original post, I have bought all my tires at Tires Unlimited in the past. I have had most of them mounted there, and they don't take them across the street, it's just around back, at the other end of the building. They do mount and balance (electronic spin balance), but it's now at $30 per wheel, and they won't touch a bike to take them off. You have to bring them the wheel already removed from the bike. If it was $30 for the pair, it would not be so bad, but $60 makes me start looking elsewhere.

I have been mounting GS tires for some time, but have not yet mounted Wing tires. I read about it all the time on the Wing forum, so it must not be too bad.

Another difference to note is that those of you who use TU get the price that you see on their website, but then you have to add shipping. Their in-store price is just a bit more, but is about the same amount as what would be added by shipping. Either way, since I am in the same state, I would have to pay sales tax.

Another complication in all of this is that the overall selection is rather slim for the sizes necessary for the Wing. 130/70-18 in the front and 160/80-16 in the back. There are only four or five manufacturers that even offer anything in those sizes, so I am looking for vendors that might carry them.

Last edited by Steve; 08-07-2009, 11:29 AM.
                              sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X