Carb removal issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb removal issues

Got a couple of questions that came up after I pulled my carbs this morning.

1. My choke is stuck up. I can't pull it back down from the cable end. It is stuck hard from the top. Even a smack on the knob with the palm of my hand wont push it back down. I've loosened the lock nuts. Once I had the cable detached, I pulled the knob up to pull some of the slack out and that's where it stayed. Have I screwed the cable? All my forum searches talk about chokes stuck down.

2. I had pulled the carbs out of the airbox and intake boots and was pushing them out of the left side of the bike. I heard something hit the ground and I saw the washer/spacer in the picture rolling around next to the bike. Anyone recognize this part? I didn't see where it came off.

Thanks.

Woodsie

1. Sounds like it's time to get a new choke cable.

2. Your part almost looks like the rubber spacer that is part of the rear gas tank mount.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I think it may be one of these lil suckers.

I think it is the outer part of the washers for this, but hey who knows. My tank had no rubber under it at all so I purchased new ones, pretty cheap too. Gettin ole girl ready for painting
      Last edited by Guest; 08-08-2009, 10:17 PM.

Comment

About the grommet, I posted in your other thread.
        This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by woodsietx View Post
          My choke is stuck up. I can't pull it back down from the cable end. It is stuck hard from the top. Even a smack on the knob with the palm of my hand wont push it back down. I've loosened the lock nuts. Once I had the cable detached, I pulled the knob up to pull some of the slack out and that's where it stayed. Have I screwed the cable? All my forum searches talk about chokes stuck down.
          I know the choke knob/rod will get stuck in the "up" position if its pulled too high...

Try to rotate the brass rod the knob is attached to & see if you can find the spot where it will "fit" back into the plastic housing. Spray with PB Blaster too.
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by woodsietx View Post
            1. My choke is stuck up...
            What do expect, it has a snob on top!

below you choke snob (knob) there is rubber cover, lift it up and you will find a round friction lock turn it anti-clockwise (loosen it), or completely un-thread it then see if you can move/re-insert the cable.
            Last edited by rustybronco; 08-08-2009, 10:13 PM.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

THat is one clean engine!

Comment

I almost feel embarrassed that I didn't think of the grommet. I remember handling it a couple weeks ago when I took the tank off the first time. The other one is safe in a little bag o' parts waiting reassembly.

If pulling it out too far causes the issue, then that's exactly what I did. I pulled on the choke like there was going to be the usual tension and it shot right out. Hopefully I can work it back in. I don't want to replace it if I don't have to. Anyone know if they can be damaged by tugging on the carb end?

Thanks, RustyBronco, for the post in the other thread. I saw it and added to the flat spot on my forehead. D'OH!!!

Originally posted by crapwacker View Post
                THat is one clean engine!
                It's even clean on the bottom for the most part. I'm very impressed with how the PO kept it. I look forward to being on it rather than under it soon.

Woodsie

Comment

Working...
                X