Carb syncing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb syncing

Is there any way to make a carb syncing tool? I want to clean my carbs and sync them. I heard from someone that you could make the tool out of fish tank tubing and something else but i can't remember what.
    I could take them somewhere but they want 175 bucks to pull them off and clean them and sync them and reinstall them. I would rather do it myself because its cheaper and i don't trust those mechanics because my dad took his bike to them multiple times because he got into a wreck and the oil pan cracked. They did patch jobs every time he brought the bike in.

Originally posted by Kitten Tooth View Post
    I heard from someone that you could make the tool out of fish tank tubing and something else but i can't remember what.
    That something else was a vacuum gauge and a four gang aquarium valve.

I've used the one I made about 10 times now. it's slower than using than one of the four cylinder at a time sticks to balance with, but it's most definitely "frugal". (thanks Brian) ***note to the uninformed, I would have called it cheep***

I would suggest making the adapters out of brass rod, or buying them from Z1. the plastic ones I first made didn't hold up for the long term.
    Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

***edit*** I see you have a twin cylinder bike. you can make that out of plastic tubing and atf.
    Last edited by rustybronco; 08-09-2009, 07:56 AM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Yes, you can make one.

$175 is actually a rather fair price for a shop to remove the carbs, clean them, re-install them and sync them.
      HOWEVER ... you would be far better off by doing the job yourself. You might spend about the same money, but you would KNOW that it's done right.

If you choose to get the stuff to clean and sync your carbs yourself, here is some of what you can expect:
      $25 for a can of Berryman's carb dip
      $1 for disposable muffin tins at Big Lots to keep your parts organized
      $97 for a Morgan Carbtune or $85 for a Motion Pro tool from Z1
      $15 for a set of o-rings from cycleorings.com, but check with him to see if your carbs are included in his kits.
      $5 for a set of intake o-rings, also from cycleorings.com
      $143 total, but you get to keep the sync gauge and use it again and again. You can even learn to do your friends' bikes and maybe make some of your money back.

Or, you can spend some time scrounging up some aquarium tubing, fabricating some adapters or getting them from Z1, trying to figure out what fluid you are going to use, figuring out how long to make the tubes, figuring out whether that fluid that got sucked into your engine because the tubes were too short is going to do any damage, or just hang it all and get some analog gauges.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

or you can read the link, save almost $100 for a syncronizer (for a gs300 correct?), then there will be no need to recoup the money.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I have this tool that I bought on ebay U.K. a while ago, that works well on twin cylinder bikes, by all accounts.....supposedly also works on fours, according to the instructions, but it's not preferable (IMHO) since one can't monitor all four cylinders simultaneously. It is brand new, never used, yours for $20.00 + postage. Offer open to anyone else, if you pass on it.

Tony.
          '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
            I have this tool that I bought on ebay U.K. a while ago, that works well on twin cylinder bikes, by all accounts.....supposedly also works on fours, according to the instructions, but it's not preferable (IMHO) since one can't monitor all four cylinders simultaneously. It is brand new, never used, yours for $20.00 + postage. Offer open to anyone else, if you pass on it.

Tony.
            If he passes. I'd like to take it. BTW we are neighbors. I'm in the Montreal area.
            2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
            1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
            2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
            s)

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
              If he passes. I'd like to take it. BTW we are neighbors. I'm in the Montreal area.
              Looks like it's yours, que! PM me your shipping address & I'll get it out this weekend. Merci!

Tony.
              '82 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                Looks like it's yours, que! PM me your shipping address & I'll get it out this weekend. Merci!

Tony.
                PM has been sent Tony!
                Thanks!
                Normand
                2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
                1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
                2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
                s)

Comment

Working...
                X