How much air in GS850G FORKS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much air in GS850G FORKS?

How much air should i put into in GS850G FORKS?

They are very low PSI but a better option is put in Progressive springs and forget about air ever again. That $80 was the best money I spent on my 850G and turned it into a different bike.
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by pcdonny View Post
      How much air should i put into in GS850G FORKS?
      It will depend on your weight, two up, ect and the "settings" of the rear shocks.
      you can find that info in the owners manual. if you don't have a copy, you can find a pdf of one on Basscliff's site.
      Last edited by rustybronco; 08-14-2009, 08:47 AM.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
        It will depend on your weight, two up, ect and the "settings" of the rear shocks.
        you can find that info in the owners manual. if you don't have a copy, you can find a pdf of one on Basscliff's site.
        http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/
        You can experiment to see what works. The pressure is really low, with a max something like 20 psi. But don't try going even that high. I don't think you could destroy yours seals (unless they're borderline), but you might force some oil past them. More air will raise the front end and quicken the steering a bit. It was pretty noticeable on my L.

But Scott's right. I finally got some progressives into mine. Much better than fiddling with air, and noticeably less dive on a quick stop. It's like the best day on air, only it's every day.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

12-15 psi should be good. The best way to set it is to have an air comressor/tank combo and set the tank pressure at your desired pressure. Then you will exactly equalize the pressure in the forks by applying the nozzle, holding for a sec and removing quickly.

I also recommend pulling up the boots and applying armor-all to the fork legs, seals and boots. It really reduces friction.

You may want to change the fork oil too: it's pretty easy to do

Comment

No air. Progressive springs.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Hi Mr. pcdonny,

Before I put Progressive springs in my forks, I would use 15 psi to get a stiffer ride. But new springs and oil are the way to go, as soon as you get a chance.

Be very careful when putting air on your forks. It's best to use a hand pump. The air pumps at the gas station will over-pressurize the forks very quickly. Be VERY careful. I think the manual says 35 psi MAX.

I'm pretty sure I gave you a mega-welcome. If not, I apologize and invite you to CLICK HERE.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I haven't gotten my progressive springs installed yet, but you might want to use something like this to pressurize the front forks (Progressive sells it I believe): http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
                Last edited by OldVet66; 08-14-2009, 07:04 PM.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I have replaced seals THANKS GUYS

thanks for all ur input, i have just finished replacing the seals and pumped in 14 psi and it seems good.

Comment

I believe the recommendation for my GS1100ED was 7psi. Did a normal pump fitting work for you? My air tank attachments never seemed to work with it.

Also, DO NOT put Armor-All on your rubber stuff. It's petro based and will degrade the rubber. Armor-All is good for nothing that I can think of. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what I've read.

There is a suspension-specific aerosol cleaner that should be available at motorcycle shops.

Be sure to get dead insects off your fork tubes. Their bodies are actually very sharp and damage your fork seals. If you have any surface pitting, get at it with either 0000 stainless steel or a diamond file so it doesn't get out of hand.

Comment

If you want to put anything on the seals/forks I would wipe them down with WD40

Comment

Originally posted by Don-lo View Post
                        12-15 psi should be good. The best way to set it is to have an air comressor/tank combo and set the tank pressure at your desired pressure.
                        This is how I did it for years. A portable air tank also does the trick, with a good quality tire chuck on the end. Super-safe, easy & no worries about unequal pressures.
                        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                        __________________________________________________ ______________________
                        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
                        X