81 GS850GX Battery Drain Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS850GX Battery Drain Problem

Battery drains after about 10 minutes of riding. Bike dies. Reads 12.5v prior to ride, 11.*v when dead. Battery is a new Yuasa, stator and rectifier are brand spankin new (installed them myself), all wire connections are good (boy that sucked tracing them!!), negative battery cable/engine ground has been replaced as well.

All electrical works just fine HOWEVER I noticed my fuel gauge doesn't work. I jumpered the gauge on the instrument panel and it went from E to F so we're good there.

I tested the tank unit with an ohm meter. Clymers says it should read 118ohms max. It read 123+/-. Since this unit is obviously bad, and one of the two wires is the black/white ground wire, would this cause the battery to drain, or if the wires were just disconnected would it cause the drain?

If so, besides replacing the unit, what can I do to get around this issue?

Is it a sealed AGM battery or a regular vented liquid one?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Battery Drain

It's a Yuasa liquid vented battery

Comment

I seem to remember that there is preparation you have to do to those before you can use them. "Priming" or some such. What I remember is that they won't hold a charge until you do this. Did you do anything like that to it?
        Dogma
        --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Hi Mr. Buster-boy,

If the battery was not properly initialized the performance can be adversely affected. What were the readings of the Stator Paper tests after you installed the new stator and r/r? Did you connect the r/r ground directly to the negative terminal of the battery? Does your r/r have a sense wire? If so, where is it connected? Have you had a chance to check and clean every electrical connection on the entire harness? Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Priming

Dogma, can you explain what that is - Priming? All I can tell you is I stopped by the store and bought it. I asked if it needed filled and charged. They said it was already charged, so I took their word for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster-boy View Post
              Battery drains after about 10 minutes of riding. Bike dies. Reads 12.5v prior to ride, 11.*v when dead...
              All electrical works just fine
              I think you need to re-think this statement.
              if the battery drains after 10 minutes of riding, she ain't charging...

what are the battery voltage readings at idle and 5k rpm's?
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Dogma, can you explain what that is - Priming? All I can tell you is I stopped by the store and bought it. I asked if it needed filled and charged. They said it was already charged, so I took their word for it.
                Alway check the voltage of the battery before you install it. It should be 12.7 volts or so or I would charge it first.

It's possible your battery won't hold a charge, but that seems less likely than a problem with the charging system. I agree with the other poster, determine your charging #s at idle and 5K.

Comment

Personally, I don't care if they tell me "it's ready to go", I perform the initialization procedure.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Everybody else has it... Initializing. I knew it was something like that.
                    Dogma
                    --

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Battery Drain

Actually, I shouldn't say it's "New". I bought it new back in May from IronPony but I've had so many issues with this bike I've only gotten 30 miles or so on it. So yeah, I guess you could say it's a "new" battery. It's been charged a billion times since then. In fact it's on the charger now cuz I killed it about an hour ago.

The stator and R/R ARE new as of about 3 weeks ago. Once I get the the battery charged and the bike running again (probably tomorrow) I'll check the v's at 5k rpm at post it here.

The negative cable on the battery was all junked up and theterminal was loose, so I installed a new one today. Someone had suggested I try that as well thinking maybe I had a bad ground. Haven't tested that yet cuz battery is dead.

I'll keep posting as things unfold.

Thanks guys!! Very appreciative!!

Comment

If you read the initialization procedure I linked to above, you will see that one of the quickest killers of a battery is to use it to start a bike or car before fully, properly charging it. By starting with a heavy drain, you set its maximum at considerably less that its designed potential. Fortunately, even a reduced-capacity AGM battery usually exceeds a good wet-cell battery, so many don't even know what they are missing.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Battery Drain

You know that's interesting. Since you don't have to do this with car batteries I guess I figured MC batteries were the same. I bought another Yuasa battery from the same place a year ago for another bike I owned. At that time they said I had to wait 24hrs to pick it up. They had to fill and charge it becuase they're shipped and stored dry. So, when I bought this battery they just handed it over. That's why I asked if it needed charged overnight and they said nope it's already charged. I thought that was a little strange, but I figured they're the experts.

Now, I've charged this battery a hundred times since buying it. When done charging, my voltmeter reads 12.5*v. Assuming this battery was never initialized, am I now good since I've charged it so many times, or should I get a new one and start from scratch?

Comment

Battery Drain

Ok here's the numbers -

At an idle - 12.0v
                            At 5000rpm - 13.20v
                            Drove 6 houses up the street, turned around, bike died.
                            Tried to restart until battery out of juice, pushed it home
                            Next reading says - 11.98v
                            Let sit 5 minutes - 12.08v
                            Tried to restart until battery out of juice - 11.63v
                            Let sit 5 minutes - 12.00v
                            Tried to restart until battery out of juice
                            Back on charger
                            Came inside to update this thread

Keep in mind it has new stator, R/R,(three weeks ago) newer battery (May of 2009 w/approx 2 hours usage on it)

It's on the charger now. Next time I'll drive til it dies but this time I won't try to restart it. I'll push it home and take another reading. I thinking there's a chance it's a carb/fuel issue and I'm killing the battery trying to restart.
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-16-2009, 03:30 PM. Reason: Update

Comment

Those numbers sound low, but the voltages really need to be taken on a fully charged battery. Please get some numbers when it's fresh off the charger. For methodical diagnosis, we need to establish that the battery and charging system are good before trying to diagnose possible fuel/carb/valve clearance issues. Especially since a weak battery can cause hard starting due to weak spark.
                              Dogma
                              --

--
                              '80 GS850 GLT
                              '80 GS1000 GT
                              '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Working...
                              X