O ring lube ? Assembling carbs now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

O ring lube ? Assembling carbs now

What should I lube/spray the o rings with, when I install them in the Carbs ?

cg
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

I use a very light touch of synthetic chassis grease (royal purple) on them.

Material = Nitrile (Buna-N), 70 Durometer. This is the ideal material for this application.
    McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

Standard: Recommended for use in oil applications due to its good resistance.
    ***edit*** a light swipe of bearing/chassis grease- motor oil- white lithium-??? should do fine.
    Last edited by rustybronco; 08-15-2009, 05:26 PM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thanks, I couldn't find what to use, just knew I needed to use something.

cg
      sigpic
      83 GS1100g

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I like silicone spray. It's safe on rubber.

Comment

I use silicone paste. Been using it for years. Many airplanes are flying around with it.

Comment

Originally posted by GSJim69 View Post
            Many airplanes are flying around with it.
            I just love it when something else is brought in to justify or validate an argument.

Just because it works in airplanes does not mean it's right in motorcycles.

In this case, the silicone (either spray or paste) would work well, but rather than go searching for some specialized product like the paste, simply use a drop or two of oil. I don't think it would really matter very much whether it's motor oil, gear oil, 3-in-1 oil, sewing machine oil, whatever, you just need something to let the o-ring slide into its housing.

Personally, I use a light synthetic oil, but mainly because that's what came in the 1.5 fl. oz. squeeze bottle with a fine tip that will easily dispense a fraction of a drop, if necessary.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Saliva works well.
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You folks are great! I couldn't find chassey greese so just tried a of oil. These are my first m/c carbs and am in a bit of a panic to get her going.Thanks all.

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g

Comment

Working...
                X