wont start need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wont start need help

I have a 1980 gs550e and this is my first bike. It was running well then just stopped running. I checked the battery and charged it to 100%. All I get when I try to start it is a 'clicking' sound and that seems to be coming from the starter.(at least I can feel the vibration when I hit the start button) I can start it by putting it into 2nd gear, rolling down a hill and releasing the clutch. Should I just replace the starter or should I start somewhere else? Any ideas? Thanks

When you checked the battery, did you also check the battery connections to be sure they are clean and tight?

Comment

You should start with checking the voltage at the starter, when hitting the start button.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

The clicking sound should be the starting solenoid . If that is the case than try jumping the 2 large posts with a screw driver and see if she starts. Take a look at the posts for corrosion could just be a poor connection.
        If it doesnt start by jumping the posts check the wire from the battery to the soleniod and solenoid to starter make sure everything is clean and tight.
        Do you have a meter or test light so you can do some checking ?
        If the battery is charged the connection are clean when you hit the start button the post with the wire going to the starter should show battery voltage.
        Also check the case of the solenoid has a good ground you might have to take it off and clean things up and try it again.
        If you get the battery voltage on the wire leading to the started from the solenoid after cleaning. Then its time to look at the starter.
        Good luck

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. tmetz,

Before I say, "HoooooowwDY!" I'd like to invite you to check the "Electrical Odds and Ends" section of my website for troubleshooting tips regarding electrical things. Now here's lots of GS lovin' to read up on. Enjoy!

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

How did you "check" the battery? I'd be more suspicious of that than the starter. +1 check the wiring, but also consider re-testing the battery. Most parts stores will charge and check for free (make sure they don't charge at more than 2A - these little batteries aren't made to handle more than that and you'll kill them quickly). Usually solenoids click because as they close and the starter starts sucking juice, their voltage drops causing them to lose energy and open. Then the voltage goes back up and the cycle repeats. It's usually either a bad battery or excessive resistance in the wiring.

Comment

Working...
            X