spline looks bad?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spline looks bad?

I decided to take a close look at my spline and took it off the wheel since I was getting a new tire. I will post some pics of it so I hope people will give me there opinions. Should I not even put it back on in this condition or can I get 1,2,3,4 seasons out of it? Note: I have worked on this bike for over a year here and there and was hoping I could finally ride it alittle but maybe not.

also this is another pic

Comment

While there is some wear in it, it appears that you can get more mileage from it, but it must be lubed really well with a good moly grease. I would eventually start saving for a new one, but I bet you can get a bit of time from it (again) IF it is well lubed.

Comment

Originally posted by propflux01 View Post
        While there is some wear in it, it appears that you can get more mileage from it, but it must be lubed really well with a good moly grease. I would eventually start saving for a new one, but I bet you can get a bit of time from it (again) IF it is well lubed.
        Agree. Use a good moly type grease on that and the pumpkin gear and it'll last for many more thous kms. Re-check it's wear with each rear tyre replacement. Don't trust it once the wear exceeds half the original gear thickness though.

Both sets of gears should be thoroughly cleaned and re-lubed each tyre change.

Start looking for a second hand '79 850 replacement gear. The material is harder on them and with regular use of moly grease, you'll never wear it out.
        :) The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

thanks for reply. I bought the honda moly grease awhile back. so I would be ready to do that. It only has 13000 miles on it so I was surprised by that amount of wear.

Comment

The 81/82 ones are soft & well known for that. I've seen worse. Look out for a 1980 wheel from a G or a GL model & swap it out. The 80 model one will be black colour & last much better.

Cheaper to buy a wheel than $250 from Zuki.....

That one will "get you by" but I wouldn't be confident about doing a lot of miles on it! Spline on my 801000G has 84k on it & looks brand new!

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar..... - FOR SALE!

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

You might go easy on the burn outs and wheelies until you find a replacement...
              http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...tatesMap-1.jpg

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I vote for replacement, you know it's bad and can replace it. Twist that throttle to get out of a jam and it might let you down.
                1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Email chuck and see if it comes with the spline in it.

REAR MAG RIM..VERY GOOD SHAPE
                  De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

If you can't find a 79-80 spline, a brand spanky new one's only about $110. Where'd you get the $250 figure?

At Partshark.com:
                    JOINT, HUB DRIVEN
                    64680-45113
                    $109.92

The rate of wear accelerates on these things -- that one will go another couple thousand miles, but I'd bet it will strip out well before the next tire change.

You can also find good "new-style" splines from any Suzuki shaftie from the late '80s until the current C50/S50 Boulevard cruisers. The Intruders are the most common.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                      You might go easy on the burn outs and wheelies until you find a replacement...
                      Tkent said it all. How long it will last depends ALOT upon your driving style. The hubs on both my 1100s were FAR more worn than yours is and were doing fine when I installed new ones. Personally, I'd replace it the next time I replace the rear tire (even if thats 5k) but I'd sure as h*ll lube the bajesus out of it now with the Honda moly grease you bought. Just my .02 worth.
                      Willie
                      Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                      '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                      '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                      '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Having blown two of those myself, I wouldnt ride as far as the shop to get a new spline with it looking like that. I blew one, installed a nearly flawless used one, and within 7k miles blew that one. No, I dont wheelie shafties. Yes I do ride them fairly hard, but its the shock of starting and stopping that chews those things up. Get a GOOD model used one, or buy a new new new one. DONT keep riding on that thing, trust me, it WILL go at the most inopertune time...

Comment

Name that noise!!!!

I was leaving work at lunch time to meet up with the wife. tapped 'er down into 1st, let the clutch out, spun it up to get ahead of traffic , when a RRRRWWWWEEERRRR sound came out of it.
                          oop's!... wrung the splines off of it...

um, how about replacing it before that happens to you.

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                          Twist that throttle to get out of a jam and it might let you down.
                          Last edited by rustybronco; 08-27-2009, 01:22 PM.
                          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                          X