plugged fuel delivery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plugged fuel delivery

well i have been having an ongoing problem with my 84 gs550e, it stalls when you stop and has an inconsistant idle(still not solved). but after i did my fourth carb cleaning coming from a 24hr carb soak in berrymans chem dip, reassembled bike and would not start. upon furter investagation discovered fuel was not flowing into the carbs. couldnt even blow through the fuel line with the drian plugs out of the bowls. had to blow compresed air through fuel line than it opened up and accepted fuel? any ideas as to what caused this?

is your petcock working correctly?

Thatd be the second thing, first being making sure u have gas in the tank.

Also if you have an inline filter, get rid of it.

Test your petcock and make sure its ok. If not, don't buy a rebuild kit, they rarely work, just buy OEM or if you want aftermarket ( pingel).

Comment

oooo wait.

i think i understand what your saying now.

So then scratch the whole petcock thing.

Umm no im not sure what would have caused the lines to clog, has the bike sit for a while?

Comment

ive gone through the whole fuel delivery system several times trying to fix the other problem. the blokage was definatly in the carbs themselves, not the line. this was after the fourth cleaning in two weeks, when i went to start it the bowls wouldnt fill, thats when i traced the new blokage to the carbs internally, blew through the short piece of gas line which was not blocked. so i dont know what would cause that temporary blokage in the carbs

Comment

Is there any rust in the tank? Or if the bike had been sitting a while and gas wasn't cleaned out of the tank, the old gas could leave deposits. I have an '83 Honda Magna with a reserve tank now deteriorating from the bike sitting with old gas in it. The gunk coming from the tank is clogging the fuel likes, and starves it for fuel. It took a year of trial and error and many trips getting stranded on the road for me to get to that answer.

Comment

Originally posted by tinkerchic View Post
            Is there any rust in the tank? Or if the bike had been sitting a while and gas wasn't cleaned out of the tank, the old gas could leave deposits. I have an '83 Honda Magna with a reserve tank now deteriorating from the bike sitting with old gas in it. The gunk coming from the tank is clogging the fuel likes, and starves it for fuel. It took a year of trial and error and many trips getting stranded on the road for me to get to that answer.
            no the whole tank was just acid cleaned and then sealed with the "kreem" treatment, the petcock has been cleaned and tested, the short piece of fuel line was new, just after i cleaned the carbs the last time they wouldnt take fuel? the brass fitting that the gas line hooks to is pretty big, like a quarter inch, i cant imagine that plugging, especially after a 24hr soak

Comment

First thing, you don't need to clean the carbs 4 times in two weeks. you clean them once, the first time only.

while you have them apart you inspect everything, fuel inlet screens, if equipped with them, fuel inlet tees and the fuel connecting tubes.

you must also inspect every passage, orifice, diaphragm and needle. there are no short cuts to cleaning carbs. everything else usually be a long cut.

then you will know, when and if a problem arises, it will most likely lie elsewhere.

just to be sure, you do have fuel flow with the petcock in the prime position? no need to chase that problem when you finally correct the problem you have now.

I wish you luck with it.
              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Food for thought, here's a thread of mine on a similar issue earlier this year, ended up being the float bowl gasket...

This forum contains old posts which may have information which may be useful. It is a closed forum in that you can not post here any longer. Please post your questions in the other technical forums.

Good luck,

Mike
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...