Stator replacement help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stator replacement help?

So after repairing r/r's and various bad connections, it seems that a new stator is in order; its the original so I don't fee so bad...

Can someone step me through the procedure? I am most unsure what to do regarding the gasket - will it release from both sides?

can it be re-used?
    should I trace it onto a cereal box and make another?
    should i get a new one when ordering the stator?

Thanks

Originally posted by arie View Post
    So after repairing r/r's and various bad connections, it seems that a new stator is in order; its the original so I don't fee so bad...

Can someone step me through the procedure? I am most unsure what to do regarding the gasket - will it release from both sides?

can it be re-used?

Thanks
    can it be re-used?
    Quite often, it can be re-used.

Be sure to clean off all debris carefully, from the engine and the gasket.

That works well....be sure you use a sharp knife as part of it will be pretty narrow. You can punch the holes with the cover pressed hard against the cardboard,.

Also note, it is much better to do that before you cut it to shape.

That is entirely up to you.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

First of all,

BassCliff will be along with his version of that, but in the meantime, bookmark his website. Lots of good info there.

One of the pages on his site is about Stator Replacement. Probably all the info you will need.

Your gasket might release from both sides, but you will be better off with a new one.
      Not sure about using a cereal box, unless you are either desparate or cheap.
      Gasket material at the auto parts store will work, but OEM gaskets are not that expensive.
      BassCliff also has Gasket Templates available on his site.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

My experience...

having replaced my stator 2x in 4 years.

1) original gasket was so hard and fused to the case it was NOT reuseable. 2nd time I took stator cover off gasket was reusable as it had only been on for maybe 1 year with few miles ridden due to other issues.

2) Before you take off side cover, get some cardboard and draw something that resembles the shape of the cover. Where the screws go matters as they are different lenghts. A template will save you remembering, just poke the screws through the template in the right locations as you remove them.

3) Hardest part will likely be getting the &*$%ing side cover off in the first place. Especially if its never been done. You first need to break free the gasket seal, then keep in mind that it's magnetically attracted to the motor, and lastly, it will only really go on/off straight, can't really get one side free then the other. What seems to work is remove the bolts, wack around it several times with a rubber mallet and pull, then pull....and again. Repeat. Cussing seemed to help mine come off! Some have resorted to using putty knife or similar to help break it free but I was afraid of damaging the metal surfaces. It will come off eventually.

4) Old gasket for me came off in pieces, some stuck to the engine, some to the cover. I had to carefully use razor blade to get most of it off without digging into the metal, then used some fine sand paper to get off most of what was left. I never did get every last bit of it off, but it doesn't leak so....

5) 2nd hardest part for me was getting the old stator removed from the side cover. Mine was held on with slotted head screws and a few of them did strip. One screw in particular would NOT come out, had to visit neighbor and use a torch on it to help break it free. Replace all screws (or atleast the one's that strip with stainless steel hex heads for the next time!).

6) then just put it all back together. Note that gasket may drop from where is should be during reinstall which means pulling stator cover back off against force of magnet. Don' recall which way worked best for me, but I seem to think it was putting the gasket in place on the bike, holding it with one finger in place while trying not to pinch my finger between the metal as the sidecover sucked itself back on....

Comment

it seems that a new stator is in order; its the original so I don't fee so bad...
          By a new stator is in order, you do mean that it failed either the resistance or the voltage tests, correct?
          how are the connectors between the stator and the R/R/ have they been replaced?

(no need to spend money needlessly)
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Wow,

Thanks for all the replies.

I tested the stator, all leads shorted read no resistance, though it puts out some voltage. ~ 40 v at 5000rpm

an hour ride drops the battery voltage from 12.7 to 12.3 volts over that period

I anticipate the gasket will be tough to remove, as will the screws that hold on the cover, and then wrestling the cover off against the magnet. any suggested cuss words? <ggg>

all the connections between the stator and r/r have been replaced with gold plated clips, and connections have been cleaned with de-oxit. Have replaced several runs of wire too, too internally corroded and warm to the touch.

its a shame that there is no way to fit an alternator to these bikes; having a generator sucks.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. arie,

As Mr. Steve mentioned, you'll find lots of GS lovin' on my website. Let me give you a big "HOoooowwDY!"

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

its a shame that there is no way to fit an alternator to these bikes; having a generator sucks.
                It has an alternator.

looks like you have it all handled!
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Wow,

Thanks for all the replies.

I tested the stator, all leads shorted read no resistance, though it puts out some voltage. ~ 40 v at 5000rpm

an hour ride drops the battery voltage from 12.7 to 12.3 volts over that period

I anticipate the gasket will be tough to remove, as will the screws that hold on the cover, and then wrestling the cover off against the magnet. any suggested cuss words? <ggg>

all the connections between the stator and r/r have been replaced with gold plated clips, and connections have been cleaned with de-oxit. Have replaced several runs of wire too, too internally corroded and warm to the touch.

Shorted to what? the three wires should have NO reading to ground, They should read 1-2 ohms between pairs of wires. Check the stator pages !!!! for the correct proceedures

Comment

Here is a scan of a stator gasket for a gs650G like yours. Print and tape to gasket paper bought at an auto parts store, Get the 1/32 inch stuff for gas and oil. Trace or cut along the lines, punch the holes out with a 1/4" hole punch and you have a gasket.

Total cost about 6 dollars and you have enough for 2 more gaskets.

1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks for the scan of the gasket, but I am unsure how to print it to scale.

when I tried just sending it to the printer, it was larger than the page size

?

what did I do wrong?

Comment

Hi,

When you print the file, make sure your printer driver is set to "print actual size" and NOT "fit to page" or "scale to fit".

Save the file to your hard drive. Open the file with a picture editor (I like Irfanview). Then choose 'File' and 'Print'. Click the 'print settings' or 'advanced' button so that you can check the layout and printing preferences before you print.

BassCliff

Comment

It's definitely smaller than 8.5 by 11 so it should fit. Don't open with IE or it will not print right. Imaging or Paint are better programs as are a few others.
                          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Well, Thought I would update all you fine folks as to my progress.
                            nope, still not done... might get the bike on the road in time for the first snow <ggg>

went to Autozone and purchased an "impact driver" for all of $10 that looks like the one in the image from BassCliff. Used the smaller of the two cross bits, and it broke; the larger one was a better fit { though looked too large} and finished the job. groan

having removed all the screws, set upon wacking like crazy to free the cover, the rubber mallet having no effect. Finally I hit the mallet with a heavy hammer and that dislodged the cover

tried to remove 'starter motor' cover, and the left side two 8mm bolts came out with ease; the last one was a B!t@&!!! how the heck have you all gotten that last bolt off? I used a 8mm spanner / box end with almost no room to maneuver my fingers! I ended up loosly attaching a screwdriver tip to the end of the wrench with wire to be able to move it without cramming my hand into the small space - sheesh!!

and thats where I am, I have to remover and install the new stator, cut the gasket from the material { Autozone had 1/32 oil and gas "rubberized" gasket } install all.

Q: There is some mention of replacing the screws with allen bolts - where to find them?

also, is there a torque spec for tightening the screws when replacing the cover?

Comment

Hi Mr. arie,

The hex bolt kit can be had at Z1 Enterprises and other places like ebay stores. Perhaps ... http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=1137

I'm not looking at your manual but I seem to recall 7 ft.lbs. would be good for those case bolts. Check the manual to be sure. I use a thread sealer too (NOT a thread locker).

BassCliff
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-13-2009, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X