Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Man I hope this isn't too stupis a question. .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man I hope this isn't too stupis a question. .

I'll be parking my bike soon for the winter months and will attempt to pull & clean the carbs for the very first time. My two questions are. . .

1. Since I live in Colorado and in a high altitiude, is there anything I need to do different than a normal carb clean outlined in the pfd available on this site?

2. Besided replacing the "O" rings, will I also need to purchase a new gasket set for the carbs?

Go easy on me guys, this is a scary thing for me, and hoping I don't screw too much up doing it. Oh yeah. . 77 GS750B, stock pipes, stock air filter

thanks much in advance (just noticed I screwed the title by mispelling "stupid", hmmm . . .ironic)

Yes, it is a stupid question because it's been answered ad nauseum (j/k) Did you read the instructions In The Garage?

You may not need gaskets, only the float bowl gaskets are affected. There are no other gaskets in the carbs.

As far as altitude, you may possibly need to be leaner if you never go below 6,000'

But, the carbs are fairly lean as set up stock. So check your plugs after you have it running again.

Around here, we routinely go from sea level to 5,000' without any problems
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

To answer your questions

1. No

2. You may need to purchase some bowl gaskets.

VM's are easier to clean than the CV's.

Comment

Originally posted by miles28 View Post
        I'll be parking my bike soon for the winter months and will attempt to pull & clean the carbs for the very first time. My two questions are. . .
        You going to park it all winter? Why?

1. Since I live in Colorado and in a high altitiude, is there anything I need to do different than a normal carb clean outlined in the pfd available on this site?
        No

2. Besided replacing the "O" rings, will I also need to purchase a new gasket set for the carbs?
        No

Go easy on me guys, this is a scary thing for me, and hoping I don't screw too much up doing it. Oh yeah. . 77 GS750B, stock pipes, stock air filter
        What's to screw up?

thanks much in advance (just noticed I screwed the title by mispelling "stupid", hmmm . . .ironic)

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          You going to park it all winter? Why?

No

No

What's to screw up?
          Well, I'm assuming there will be alot of snow on the ground. Might make it hard to ride my bike here in Colorado. On the other hand, I do have the liner to my jacket I haven't used yet . . ,

Comment

Thanks guys. Appreciate the advice (and the humor)

Comment

Well, I'm assuming there will be alot of snow on the ground. Might make it hard to ride my bike here in Colorado. On the other hand, I do have the liner to my jacket I haven't used yet . . ,
              Evidently you just moved there?

You might have noticed that tkent (and many others on this forum) also live in Colorado. Yes, there are areas that stay covered in snow, but there are also areas that don't see much.

Now for the usual "newbie" requests: where in Colorado are you? Please click on the User CP in the upper left corner to add your location. Who knows? You might be tkent's neighbor. While you are in the User CP, generate/add/edit your signature to show what bike(s) you have. That way, you will not have to remember to add it to your message whenever you ask another "stupis" question.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Who knows? You might be tkent's neighbor.

We actually met getting gas the other day.

As far as high elevation, I can help you set it up to run pretty well at whatever altitude you want. You get about a three thousand foot window with VM carburetors, above that you have to start being easy on the throttle. Set it up to run well in Denver, it will do OK on the lower mountain roads. Up high, not so much. Around ten or twelve thousand feet there's not much you can do except keep the revs up and the throttle closed.

I didn't realize you were new around here, there is a lot of good riding weather all winter.
                Bring a jacket.
                Last edited by tkent02; 09-10-2009, 07:06 AM.

Comment

Actaully to the guy that posted the bowl gaskets are the only gaskets in a set of VM 26s...there are TWO sets of gaskets in a set of VM 26 carbs...BOWL gaskets and the TOP COVER gaskets. And yes if the top cover gaskets leak they present a vacuum leak situation...Usually if they dont get ruined while disassembly they will reseal just fine though..For a few extra dollars i just replace them...lets give the newbies the facts..( BIG T)...to say that only the bowl gaskets are effected is incorrect because you HAVE to remove the top cover to remove the slide bolts to fully disassemble the carbs!!!!!
                  Last edited by chuck hahn; 09-10-2009, 07:12 AM.
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Teach a guy how to work on carbs and look what happens... sheesh!

OK Mr. I made my own dies to make some bowl gaskets.... (them darn machinists)

Morning Chuck!
                    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
                      And yes if the top cover gaskets leak they present a vacuum leak situation...
                      Then please explain something to me, since I don't deal with VM carbs very much.
                      If that presents a vacuum leak, how are you supposed to do a carb sync?
                      You have to have the tops off to sync them, but if that makes them leak, how can you tell when you have it right?

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

If that presents a vacuum leak, how are you supposed to do a carb sync?
                        You have to have the tops off to sync them, but if that makes them leak, how can you tell when you have it right?
                        The presumption that top gaskets prevent leaks must be false.

Comment

Lol, guys, believe it or not I was born here, and have lived here all my life, but have only just gotten back into riding these last couple of years. I guess I just assumed everyone parks their bike here in the winter. I'll fill out my personal info here shortly

Comment

I wouldn't park anything, there's too much good weather.
                            I have a windshield I might put on for winter if I get around to it.

Comment

Lol, guys, believe it or not I was born here, and have lived here all my life, but have only just gotten back into riding these last couple of years. I guess I just assumed everyone parks their bike here in the winter. I'll fill out my personal info here shortly
                              Have you not ever noticed that there are a good number of bikes riding around the Denver area most of the winter?
                              Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                              '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                              '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                              '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                              '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend, now for sale.

Comment

Working...
                              X