max 2000rpm???? This sucks.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

max 2000rpm???? This sucks.

got a problem AGAIN. Well, it keeps me of the booze, crime, t.v. computer, so it probably is a good thing. Problem is it also keeps me from riding. Now I'm sad.

I drove my bike (77 gs750) to the beach, surfed a bit, wanted to go home, turned the key... nothing. The battery is dead. This sucked. I was however able to start it with the kickstarter so I could get home. The only problem was cyclists were passing me, and that is a really bad thing.

The engine bogs and wants to stop when 2000rpm is reached. Could this be the result of the dead battery, or could this also be the result of something else?

HELP

yeah, you might not have enough spark power to get over 2000 RPM.

Comment

Same thing happened to me except mine died while riding near the beach. Battery died and my stator wasnt charging. Needed a new stator. Search the site for stator diagnostics. Do those. You might need a new stator. Or, R/R.
      Good luck

Comment

Well, thanks.

Got a new battery and instantly got my power back. Yeah.

Trying to find the cause.
        Indeed somthing with the charging system.

Output of the stator seems ok (75V at 4500rpm)
        Probably the rectifier is dead.

Comment

If you need to replace the R/R, get the Electrex brand. Check out the 'Stator Papers'.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Could just be the stator ground wires. That would just drain the battery over time.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

In my electric schedule the stator does not have a ground wire. Just three wires coming from the stator, those are all giving about 70 volts (at 4500 to 5000 rpm).

I checked the r/r output again with a shop multimeter. (they didn't have a scope to visualise voltage) The output of the r/r was about 14.5 at 1000rpm, BUT the output sometimes changed from 14.5 to OL (this doesn't sound good). Still, the according to the diode test from the stator pages it is good (0.45 to 0.49 ohms, should be around 0.5 ohms).

I'm gonna buy a new rectifier and then I'll tell you how it goes.

Comment

Working...
              X