No announcement yet.

Converting to Electronic Ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any bike 1980 and up has electronic ignition.

~Adam

Comment

So, knowing that, would I see any benefit from going to the Dyna ignition or something similar? Or is electronic ignition, electronic ignition?

I am thinking that my next investment should be the electrex stator..
      But let me explain my problem.

New battery, fully charged..I replaced the R/R last year, after finding some burnt wires under the tank, so I bought a used R/R and fuse block and put them in.

No more burnt wires, or blowing fuses, but I have to recharge the battery every 3 or 4 days.
      At idle, after a couple of days, the lights are dim. If I rev it up it brightens.. Up to 2000 rpm or so, then it seems to level off or even fall off, until it comes back down to around 2 grand.. then below that it dins again. Once I recharge the battery, I am good to go, starting, running, and everything, until it runs down again... What does this sound like to you guys ?

Comment

i'm not sure what the case is if your lights dim and all...but i would check your battery voltage while the bike is running at 5000 RPM.

this will tell you if its charging.

Comment

Electronic ignition vs points & condensers

Howdy Everyone,

I'm poking through the GS forums looking for some info on the cam chain tensioner for my GS850GS, and saw that some folks still have questions about electronic ignition.

Please stuff your fears!

It's not expensive, it's easy to convert, and I can't tell you just how much better my bike starts and runs in the morning.

This isn't an issue for debate . . . it's a wonderful change. Just Do It!

I kept my original coils and now, three years later, everything is still working "todo madre."

Mike

Comment

Working...
          X