Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the difference between a GX and a GT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's the difference between a GX and a GT?

I own a 1981 GS850GX. I'm looking at a parts fiche for a Tail Cover and I see GS850GX and GS850GT listed. I know the GX came in blue or brown, and the GT came in black or maroon. The covers each have different part numbers, but the description for the GX reads "Cover, seat tail..." and the description for the GT reads "Cover, seat tall...".

What is "Tall"? Is the seat thicker or something? Were the covers two different sizes or something?

I guess I'd also like to add - in general, what's the difference between the GX and the GT overall? Now, I'm not talking the GL, I know what that is, but the GX & GT.

Thankls
    Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2009, 02:52 PM. Reason: Adding to the question

Originally posted by Buster-boy View Post
    I own a 1981 GS850GX. I'm looking at a parts fiche for a Tail Cover and I see GS850GX and GS850GT listed. I know the GX came in blue or brown, and the GT came in black or maroon. The covers each have different part numbers, but the description for the GX reads "Cover, seat tail..." and the description for the GT reads "Cover, seat tall...".

What is "Tall"? Is the seat thicker or something? Were the covers two different sizes or something?

I guess I'd also like to add - in general, what's the difference between the GX and the GT overall? Now, I'm not talking the GL, I know what that is, but the GX & GT.

Thankls
    To answer you question, one year is the difference. Gs850GT=1980, GS850Gx=1981.

tall is a misprint. the "tails" are the same except for the color/stripe differences between years.

there is/was a black 1980 tail on E-bay.

is... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...Q5fAccessories
    Last edited by rustybronco; 10-31-2009, 03:09 PM.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

OK, you most probably know that the GT was the 1980 model and the GX the 1981.
      The changes are only cosmetic, different flashers and different striping as far as I know. Each year and model also had it specific colours for different parts of the world.
      There may be a slight decal change, but I am not sure. Not sure on all of the details but the fisch show it.

Edit: Dale, you beat me to it!
      Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2009, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Andre, look at my edit time and the time you posted!
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
          Andre, look at my edit time and the time you posted!

I must read up a bit on telepathy, be it fact or be it myth!
          Keep well!

Comment

It's amazing, what you can learn from the "MODEL IMFORMATION" page on this site.
            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Here, let me fix that for you.

It's amazing what you can learn from the "MODEL INFORMATION" page on this site.

(it's a link now)

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

How'd you do dat ???
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Steve, R - Thanks. I'll definatley read that. Didn't know it existed.

Rusty - I was looking at that tail cover on eBay. That's why I wanted to know. I own an 81 and was checking the fiche to see if it's the same thing. I actually bought the front fender from that bike. I'm getting ready to repaint my bike. My front fender has a dent, and for $20 for a dentless fender, that's a whole lot easier to work with than filling the dented one with Bondo, sanding, etc.

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Jim

Comment

Working...
                  X