Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Air box boots.

First item:
    I got new boots for "Freebie" (see sig), and am now trying to install them. The boots that came out were all the same part number (thanks, some previous owner) and had no markings for L or R. The new boots are marked L and R, so that is no problem, but does the L and R go UP or DOWN? There is also a little teat molded into the edge near the letter that is visible when the boot is in place, so it's easy to see when installed.

Second item:
    The boots I took out had a metal ring inside that would lock them into place. There wasn't much problem getting them out, but how do I get them back into the new boots? There are no ridges inside the boots to tell me where they should end up, and I can't tell if they should be installed within the opening in the airbox or just behind it. Either way, it will expand and hold the boots in place, but I am having a rather difficult time trying to get them into either location.

Any tips on how and where to install these rings will be fully appreciated.

Last edited by Steve; 11-05-2009, 05:55 PM.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Hey Steve,

I believe the L & R are supposed to be in the UP position...

After I've installed the bank of carbs into both sets of boots (fuel & air sides) I simply grab hold of each boot & rotate it around until I acheive the best fit "angle" on both sides of the boot. Sounds funky, but you can easily see right away when each boot is in the correct position. Then i tighten all the clamps.

Can't help much with metal ring issue - I did just buy some new airbox boots for my 1100EX, but chose to use pods instead so i never installed them.
    '85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      First item:
      I got new boots for "Freebie" (see sig),
      Sumthin's missing...
      I would help if you put that info in your sig line, then we wouldn't have to ask.
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

OK, who swiped my sig line?

OK, it's back.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Mine also has those metal rings in them. But one is missing. I'll be watching this post for the answer on how to install them.
          I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
          http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...Picture003.jpg 1982 GS850G

http://i1210.photobucket.com/albums/...n1/Picture.jpg 1980 GS1100L

Comment

NOBODY???

After reading all the suggestions to "change your airbox boots", I just know that at least ONE of you has changed them. How about some clues here?

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride

Comment

Steve, I tried to take a look at my '80 last night to help you. I pulled the air filter out and removed one of the carb boot clamps. I didn't see any markings on the boot, so quite possibly the factory boots are devoid of any markings.

when I get home tonight, I will have a second look at the boot(s) with a mirror.

Comment

Those little metal rings are a pain to keep in place while wrestling the carbs in. My airbox boots do have a depression where they are supposed to stay, however, the depression is very subtle and doesn't do a good job of keeping them in place. If the band isn't strong enough to stay in place on it's own, how could it possibly help hold the boot ?

I'm not convinced that they are completely needed. The boots should have a groove where they connect to the airbox which holds them there fine. I guess new metal bands that have more spring to them would help.
                Larry D
                1980 GS450S
                1981 GS450S
                2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                  I didn't see any markings on the boot, so quite possibly the factory boots are devoid of any markings.

when I get home tonight, I will have a second look at the boot(s) with a mirror.
                  The boots I took out have Suzuki part numbers on them. I looked them up and they are the correct boots for ALL of the 850L models ('80-'83) and the '82-'83 G models. The '80 and '81 G models had different part numbers, and they also specified Left and Right, so there were two each of two different part numbers. Since "Freebie" is an '81, I ordered the correct ones, I did not just copy the part numbers that were there. Other than the part number, which is on the side of the flange that faces the carbs, and a little teat molded into the edge of the flange that mates against the airbox (directly opposite the part number), there are no orientation marks.

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                  Those little metal rings ... I'm not convinced that they are completely needed. The boots should have a groove where they connect to the airbox which holds them there fine. I guess new metal bands that have more spring to them would help.
                  I finally found a way to compress the metal rings enough to get them into place. There is NO question that they will hold the boots in place, I just want to make sure that's the position I want them held in.

Yes, there is a groove where they connect to the airbox, but NEW boots are so pliable, if you look at them cross-eyed, they will fall out of place.
                  They really need to have the metal rings to hold them in place.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    The boots I took out have Suzuki part numbers on them. I looked them up and they are the correct boots for ALL of the 850L models ('80-'83) and the '82-'83 G models.
                    Shall I look at my '82-g, or do you have it handled now?

Comment

Originally posted by rustybronco View Post
                      Shall I look at my '82-g, or do you have it handled now?
                      Thanks, Rusty, I think it's handled, I'm just going to go with the way I have them in now. I have the letters facing up and I found a way to compress the metal rings to get them in place, so I will try to install the carbs and see what happens.

If it doesn't work, look for updates right here.

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

You're talking about the rings that fit inside the outer carb boots next to the snorkel, about 5/8" in span and 1 1/2" diameter? They are a real mess to put in. My tubes were old with a rubber dent in the boot to put them in, so at least they had some quasi-home. But they still squished around and would not stay in any particular spot. The key seemed to be dry out the internal tube, don't have any lubricant inside the tube (and the metal ring itself). Push them in carefully with a screwdriver, then mount and screw them down. Hold your breath and hope you don't have to do it again.

Comment

Well, I only had two hands available and they were busy, so I couldn't take any pictures, but here is how I put the rings in.
                          Grasp the ring by encircling it with index finger and thumb. Squeeze it into a tighter, smaller circle, Grab the inner end with some needle-nose pliers and help it get a bit smaller. Now grab the overlap with the needle-nose pliers, lift the ring into the boot and carefully let it expand. Carefully slip the pliers out, the ring will expand into place.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Those rings can be a pain. After wrestling with them for a while I found putting a little oil inside the boot, compressing the ring so the ends overlap then slipping the opposite end in first I was able to get the ends to slip in and aligned with the help of a screwdriver. Took a while but finally got them set. There was a slight indention inside the boot where the rings seated and a dot on the outer ring of the boot that aligned with a dot on the airbox or at least that is how I assumed they were to be aligned. Worked for me, just like anything proper lubrication (oil & beer) and a little patience gets the job done.

Comment

Working...
                            X