Clear All

Signal lights

Hi folks
    Im having problems sorting out my signal lights on my gs1150
    the right side is flashing fine
    but the left side just stays on but dosnt flast
    Ive made sure its all grounded
    could it be the flasher relay?

problem first started when I installed Mini signals and a few wires comming out of the signal light were damaged by the rear tire ( stupid I know) this has all been replaced
    and the new signal lights moved into another location out of harms way.

any Idea?

I once had the same problem. Right side good and the left side would light up but not flash. It was a bad bulb.The filament broke and fell down. Somehow the bulb would light up but not allow the circuit to flash. A "semi-short"? Look at your bulbs, even if they do look ok, just swap the lefts with the rights and see if the problem follows. If it does, you know one of the lefts is bad. If the problem does not follow, then you know the bulbs are good. Or try a new bulb(s). If the wiring is correct, then the flasher would be the next cheapest thing/easiest to test/change. My bike('79 1000E) has a 2 prong flasher. This type of flasher does'nt know left or right. Either both sides work, or neither do. I think yours is 3 prong? This type I think does know left and right and can fail on just one side? The 3rd prong may be intended for use with dual filament bulbs, signals AND running lights? I'm not sure, just guessing. Good luck!
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

thanks

yeah Ive changed the bulbs and the flasher Unit is a 3 prong gadget
      I tried a automotive generic 3 prong flasher unit but then both sides didnt work
      I guess I will have to go out tomorow to see my mate mark down the bike scrappers to see if he has a 3 prong unit and see
      thanks for the reply

Comment

I once had the exact same problem on my 77' 750. I was told that it could not be the flasher relay as that would not know the difference between right and left.

Anyway, I did replace the relay and the flashers worked right away.
        good luck.

Comment

Neither 2 prong nor 3 prong flashers know left from right. That is the job of the handle-bar switch.

The two prong flasher unit uses the coil of the electro-magnet as part of the light switching ircuit.

The three prong unit has a circuit for the coil and a circuit for the lights. One of the 3 prongs is to earth, the 2 prong unit has no earth wire.

If one side goes wrong, look for either a bulb problem or a wiring problem on that side.

Kim

Comment

Sounds very similar to a problem I had with loose wiring. Have you tried chasing the wires back and checking connections?

Michael

Comment

Chasing the wires.....I like that term.. The little critters get all wound up and dive under the red and/or black tape just like bureaucrats when the word "work" is mentioned.. :roll:

While you are checking things out, look carefully at the socket itself. You may have corrosion on the walls or on the contact point that prevents a good electrical connection even with a brand new bulb.
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

I vaguely remember someone last week mentioning changing a 3 prong flaser, and having to change the way it was wired. It seems some do it one way, while others another. On new 3 prongers, there should be a number or letter next to each terminal. These are standardized. Check the socket and the old flasher to see if the numbers or letters(if they exist) are in the same place.

Just did a search, it should have 31, 49a and 49, or X, P and L.
                31 = ground
                49a = output
                49 = input
                I cannot find any reference to which letter corresponds with which number though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeckler
                  I vaguely remember someone last week mentioning changing a 3 prong flaser, and having to change the way it was wired. It seems some do it one way, while others another. On new 3 prongers, there should be a number or letter next to each terminal. These are standardized. Check the socket and the old flasher to see if the numbers or letters(if they exist) are in the same place.

Just did a search, it should have 31, 49a and 49, or X, P and L.
                  31 = ground
                  49a = output
                  49 = input
                  I cannot find any reference to which letter corresponds with which number though.
                  I had to change the way my plug was wired to suit a different flasher. The Suzuki wiring is different from normal because of the auto-cancelling stuff, (doesn't have the ground wire but has wire to auto cancel unit) but my auto system is disabled since someone in the past put on a Yammy turn switch. I've now got normal car wiring.

The X.P.L mentioned above refers to ground, power, lights.
                  X is 31, P is 49, L is 49a.

Kim

Comment

flasher

swap the front and then rear bulbs. if the front has a open or is gumed up you will get the same thing.
                    some times its the simple stuff that gets us.

Comment

Working...
                    X