Higher RPM problems.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
    First do yourself a favor and add some diesel oil to her...
    Do NOT add Diesel Oil, add motor oil for Diesel engines. Huge difference. Rotella from Walmart is great.
    Don't ever use oil with the fuel conserving symbol on the label, it will ruin the clutch.
    The oil issue is much bigger than how the bike runs, don't run it all until you take care of this.
    Pay attention to how much oil it takes to bring the oil up to the correct level in the window. If it's more than a quart or two that may be important later.
    Do you have an oil pressure light on your bike?
    It's the red one between the gauges, it could be faded white.
    This light should be on when the ignition switch first comes on, the light should go out when the engine is started.
    If not, don't do ANYTHING else yet.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzukiGS View Post
      No, in neutral it has the same issue. I've cleaned the airbox and filter as well.
      It has neither. It has a foam filter...
      Did you clean and properly oil the foam element? (i.e. oil the element and squeeze out the excess oil)
      De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

carb problem = main jets too big.

For some reason of they way they formulate gasoline today, it will run richer than you think with old-time jets. It's really not hard or costly to fix. Go to dealer, buy 4 of one jet size down and two jet sizes down.

When you have the carbs apart for cleaning and O-ring replacement (both very good ideas) you will see a large main jet screwed into the carb, usually right under the float bowl level lever. Unscrew, replace, and yer done.

I went down 2 jet sizes, and the very same problem just went away. I had 110 size main jets in my bike. Very same problem. After trying a whole bunch of other fixes, I went down one size to 105 - better - then down to 102.5 - great. Lots of snap and power, all the way to top revs.

Sounds ridiculous, but really it worked.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
          Do NOT add Diesel Oil, add motor oil for Diesel engines. Huge difference. Rotella from Walmart is great.
          Don't ever use oil with the fuel conserving symbol on the label, it will ruin the clutch.
          The oil issue is much bigger than how the bike runs, don't run it all until you take care of this.
          Pay attention to how much oil it takes to bring the oil up to the correct level in the window. If it's more than a quart or two that may be important later.
          Do you have an oil pressure light on your bike?
          It's the red one between the gauges, it could be faded white.
          This light should be on when the ignition switch first comes on, the light should go out when the engine is started.
          If not, don't do ANYTHING else yet.
          The light is red when the engine isn't running and turns off when it is running. Thats how it's suppose to work right?

And the filter was properly cleaned and re oiled.

And with the Jets, how hard is it to get to everything and how complicated is it? And how much did it change the sound of the bike? I want mine to be louder.

Comment

The light is red when the engine isn't running and turns off when it is running. Thats how it's suppose to work right?
            Good, you PROBABLY have not done any damage by running without the proper amount of oil.

And the filter was properly cleaned and re oiled.
            Good.

And with the Jets, how hard is it to get to everything and how complicated is it? And how much did it change the sound of the bike?
            Jets won't change the sound at all, except if jetted correctly it will sound like it's running correctly.
            Why is the jetting off in the first place? Modifications? Carb problems? Carbs off a different size engine?
            First you need to determine what jets if any you need. There are several jets in each carb, each do a different thing. What main jet is in there now? Pilot jet? Where are the needles set?

Comment

Originally posted by rkubik View Post
              For some reason of they way they formulate gasoline today, it will run richer than you think with old-time jets. It's really not hard or costly to fix. Go to dealer, buy 4 of one jet size down and two jet sizes down. ... I went down 2 jet sizes, and the very same problem just went away. I had 110 size main jets in my bike. Very same problem. After trying a whole bunch of other fixes, I went down one size to 105 - better - then down to 102.5 - great. Lots of snap and power, all the way to top revs.

Sounds ridiculous, but really it worked.
              Kinda scary in my book.

Most of our bikes are already borderline lean to meet the EPA regs. Leaning it out even further scares me. Also, "the way they formulate gasoline today", they add ethanol, but no more than 10%. You need MORE gas/ethanol to do the same job, so you would need larger jets to richen the mixture, not smaller ones to lean it. With the elevation in your area ranging from 3-5000 feet, you should be just about right with stock jets and ethanol fuel. I have not looked up what the stock jets are for your bike, but it's possible that a previous owner might have installed richer jets and you are just bringing it back to stock.

One thing you should DEFINITELY avoid, if it's available in your area, is E85 fuel, which is 85% ethanol. They leave just enough gas in the mix to light off the ethanol, but the jetting requirements are so different, our bikes could not handle it, even if we had the components that would stand up to the effects of the ethanol.

For those of us that are still running basically stock engines (as far as air filters and exhaust), maybe going up one size on the main jets and shimming the needle about the equivalent of one notch would bring it into a good mixture, so I am surprised at the suggestion to lean it down for better running.

82Shafty had a decent suggestion, here is another along the same idea: do whatever it takes to make it run "bad", then move your "choke". If it gets better, it's running lean, the "choke" is adding fuel to richen the mixture. Removing the filter as 82Shafty suggests will lean it out if it's running rich, so now you know how to check both sides of the mixture.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Don't just start putting smaller jets in your carbs. Pull the spark plugs and take a good macro pic of them.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Okay guys, thanks for the tips. I'll try and look into that possibly within the next couple days. I bought some oil too! So I'll fill that up while i'm at it.

So you just want a pic of the piston head through the spark plug hole correct?

Comment

Okay guys, thanks for the tips. I'll try and look into that possibly within the next couple days. I bought some oil too! So I'll fill that up while i'm at it.

So you just want a pic of the piston head through the spark plug hole correct?
                    No, take the spark plugs out. Line them up 1-4 and snap some macro photos.....of the spark plugs.
                    Larry D
                    1980 GS450S
                    1981 GS450S
                    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Here is what we want to see, but make it all four of YOUR plugs.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        Kinda scary in my book.

82Shafty had a decent suggestion, here is another along the same idea: do whatever it takes to make it run "bad", then move your "choke". If it gets better, it's running lean, the "choke" is adding fuel to richen the mixture. Removing the filter as 82Shafty suggests will lean it out if it's running rich, so now you know how to check both sides of the mixture.

This is why I went the other way because applying some choke made no difference either way. It takes just a few minutes on the side of the road and can really narrow down which way the bike needs to be tuned.

This bike could have dried spaghetti for intake boot o-rings for all we know.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                          Do NOT add Diesel Oil, add motor oil for Diesel engines. Huge difference. .
                          I think you may have misunderstood it to mean diesel fuel.

Motorcraft 15-40 and Rotella 15-40 are not diesel fuels, but diesel ENGINE oils.... sometimes referred to as diesel oil or HDEO in the shop.

Comment

Originally posted by 82Shafty View Post
                            I think you may have misunderstood it to mean diesel fuel.

Motorcraft 15-40 and Rotella 15-40 are not diesel fuels, but diesel ENGINE oils.... sometimes referred to as diesel oil or HDEO in the shop.
                            I didn't misunderstand, I didn't want him to misunderstand.

Comment

Hey guys, been awhile since i've been on here but I think it's time for an update.

So I looked at the bike a whole lot over the weekend and noticed a crap load of wires unattached and plugged them all back in where they went. I completely dissambled the gas tank and petcock and cleaned it and sealed it and then put new hoses on the petcock. Well guess what? SHE RUNS! I'm not sure exacty what was wrong, if just maybe the jets were clogged and whatever was in there passed through or something in my petcock, new oil or what, but I don't care. All I know is that it runs again! Thanks for the help, I really appriciated it.

Comment

"He who knows not and knows he knows not knows more than he who knows not and knows not he knows not...."

SuzukiGS - there is no shame in being ignorant/not knowledgeable; we all had to start somewhere.

This thread is like listening to a French guy trying to talk to the Swahili Tribe (in a most funny/entertaining way mind you). We all assume you can understand Swahili.

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
                                Sometimes the mechanical advance can get sticky/rusty and a shot of cleaner and lube will get it moving smoothly.
                                reply:
                                No, in neutral it has the same issue. I've cleaned the airbox and filter as well.
                                Translation in Suz GS's mind: "mechanical advance = 'bike is going'; "neutral" = 'bike ain't going'

So not surprisingly, in this later exchange:
                                Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                                Now, when you had the carbs apart did you check to make sure the correct jets were in there ?
                                I never took the carbs apart. I'm too afraid to try and do that
                                SuzukiGS dude: be afraid. You still have a lot to learn. It's ok. It's ok to "punt" if something is out of your league and employ a good mechanic once in a while Even guys like me who have rebuilt car carbs and done all kinds of other manner of wrenching are allowed to "punt".

Hey guys, been awhile since i've been on here but I think it's time for an update.

So I looked at the bike a whole lot over the weekend and noticed a crap load of wires unattached and plugged them all back in where they went. I completely dissambled the gas tank and petcock and cleaned it and sealed it and then put new hoses on the petcock. Well guess what? SHE RUNS! I'm not sure exacty what was wrong, if just maybe the jets were clogged and whatever was in there passed through or something in my petcock, new oil or what, but I don't care. All I know is that it runs again! Thanks for the help, I really appriciated it.
                                I'm glad she runs better. Problem is: you have no idea why (and don't care and I can absolutely appreciate that). You broke the cardinal rule of mechanical problem solving (so note for future reference): do ONE thing at a time so you can isolate the problem.

To wit, any wires that were unattached (which wires? We don't need to know, you need to know) that could contribute to how the bikes runs, if unattached would cause the bike to not run at all (e.g. coils, DynaS) or would not have any short-term effect (e.g. RR wires, Stator wires), so my guess is that whatever wires you plugged in had nothing to do with the problem.

Rust from gas tank and/or petcock certainly could have caused the problem, and like a kidney stone, can "pass" and all is well again (if you're lucky and sounds like you were; I have personally experienced this as well). What did you do to "seal" and "clean" the gas tank?

Do yourself, your now fine running bike, and us one more favor: get 4 new spark plugs, install, remove old plugs and post of pic of the 4 old ones. Guys like Steve, Chef, and TKent are awesome - listen to them and they will help you both learn and keep your bike running great.

BTW, Spectro motorcycle oils are excellent (but pricey) as well. Have used Golden Spectro for 20+ years, no problems.

Comment

Working...
                                X