Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's in a GS tool bag?

i'm looking at buying a tool bag/set to complete my GS

could anyone confirm if what you see on the photo is a complete set or if there might be anything missing?

cheers

GS850GT

I'd love to.

Where's the photo?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Look at Cliffs web site for the 850 owners manual

The tool kit is on page 17 of the manual.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

According to Partshark, the tool kit is still available. I found it on the frame fiche.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
          According to Partshark, the tool kit is still available. I found it on the frame fiche.
          Yep, I bought one when I first got my bike. They are pricey of course, $50, for $15 worth of tools, but if going to for "original".

Comment

Yeah, it's still available, but psyguy made it sound like he was wanting to bid on an auction and wanted to know if the kit was complete.

He wanted us to evaluate the contents of a picture, but there was no picture.

sigpic
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Have had what I thought was a complete stock tool kit.

But looking at this (as referenced above by bonanzadave)

I have yet to ever see one of those wire like things. Have seen reference for using a wire-like thing like that when trying to remove rear wheel, but I though it was to hold the front suspension compressed to help raise the back end. I see here is is called a "swinging arm wire", maybe something lost in translation. And I also know that also use screw driver to hold up rear swingarm (screw driver thru opning in frame and swingarm). Do both of these to get rear wheel further off ground when trying to remove rear wheel.

Just saying that I have never seen one of those wires.
              Last edited by Redman; 11-23-2009, 04:08 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
              GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                Just saying that I have never seen one of those wires.
                There's one in the tool kit on my '80. it's the first one I've seen also.

as you suspect, it's for tying down (compressing) the front suspension, so you can easily remove the rear "tyre".
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

lol, i apologise guys...

i'm sure the pic was there on the "preview" before i hit the "submit" button

GS850GT

Comment

100% correct

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                    Yeah, it's still available, but psyguy made it sound like he was wanting to bid on an auction and wanted to know if the kit was complete.

He wanted us to evaluate the contents of a picture, but there was no picture.

GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                      Look at Cliffs web site for the 850 owners manual

The tool kit is on page 17 of the manual.
                      thanks, i've seen that but i'm confused about the part numbers # 8, 9, 10 & 11.

i assume names for parts # 8 & 9 should be swapped??

10 & 11 suggest that theres 2 different screwdrivers (and one of those is both slotted and philips and the other one is only phillips), maybe different size philips??
                      GS850GT

Comment

Duct tape and bubble gum.
                        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                          Duct tape and bubble gum.
                          Half right.

The only two items needed in a tool kit are Duct Tape and WD-40.

If it moves, and it shouldn't, use the Duct Tape.

If it doesn't move, and it should, use the WD-40.

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Most factory tool kits are adequate, but that's about it. I've always made my own including the spark plug wrench and axle nut wrench from the factory kit. Throw an 8-10-12-14-17mm wrench set together with a small crescent wrench, philips and straight screw driver, a few zip ties, a pair of pliers, an air pressure gauge and a few extra fuses. That should pretty much cover anything you might need for less then the cost of a factory replacement tool kit.
                            1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

duct tape and bubble gum... lol...

back on topic, could anyone confirm the parts that the tool set is missing? i have never seen a complete set and from the schematic in the manual it's hard to tell what some pieces might look like.
                              GS850GT

Comment

Working...
                              X