carb rebuild preparation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

carb rebuild preparation

i had the carbs off last week while replacing the intake o-rings. while they were out i inspected them to make a parts list for my christmas break project. the float bowls will get new gaskets and i already have the o-ring kit. there is only one thing i noticed that is questionable: the needles.

the spring action is deteriorating and rings are worn on the tips. is it possible to replace just the needles or are they changed as a set with the jet. if it is not necessary to change as a pair, how is the jet determined to be good or bad.

the #1 carb mix screw is froze and apparently was a problem for the previous owner. the head is stripped. i tried pb blaster with no luck and have been squirting a little in occasionally. i suppose if i keep doing this, i should get it free after the soak.

Are you talking about the float needles?

Comment

yes, float needles. sorry

Comment

Depending on which kits you bought, they 'should' be included. If not, they can be purchased separately through the stealer, bike bandit, or others.

Comment

K&L kits are ok.
          You will have to dremmel off the tunnel leading to the top of the mixture screw and cut a notch into the screw. Before buggering up this one hit it with some heat first. It will break free.
          If not send it to me and I'll get it out.
          If you sell parts or provide services for GS series motorcycles, place a description of it in this forum.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by rideOn View Post
            there is only one thing i noticed that is questionable: the needles.

the spring action is deteriorating and rings are worn on the tips. is it possible to replace just the needles or are they changed as a set with the jet. if it is not necessary to change as a pair, how is the jet determined to be good or bad.
            From the factory they are replaced as a set.

can you post some good pictures of the needle and seat, to see if we can determine the condition of the sealing areas?

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Bowl gaskets, oring kit, and possibly new pilot jet plugs if yours are bad. You can buy just the fuel needles from z-1. They come in a pack of 6 (why, I don't know ). I've had no issues with any leakage with just replacing the needles.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

They come in a pack of 6 (why, I don't know
                pkg of 6?
                that is funky

can you post some good pictures of the needle and seat
                i can post pics when i take it back off in three weeks.

If not send it to me and I'll get it out.
                thanks! let me piddle with it first. i'll keep hitting it with pb blaster and maybe a heat gun or my plumbing/propane torch?

Comment

Working...
                X