A truly dumb newbie carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A truly dumb newbie carb question

Can anyone tell me what exactly the function of this is and as you can hopefully see in the crappy photo if it is a problem that the opening is much bigger than the ones in the other float bowls.

Also, while I'm at it. The float bowl gaskets are pretty shot and I was wondering about making my own out of gasket paper or if I should just go with OEM. If I make my own what width paper are people using....

thanks guys

That's a tube which the choke circuit uses to store a load of
    fuel for the initial crank. The tube sits in a separate part of the
    bowl which draws gas via the choke jet.

When the bike is not running the tube slowly fills with gas. When
    you turn the ignition the first few cranks get an extra rich supply
    to help ignite the mixture. Thereafter the flow is metered by the
    choke jet.

The one you show in the picture seems to have been messed with.
    It looks like someone drilled a hole through it.

It may affect the richness of the choke circuit but probably not as
    the choke jet (which is pressed into the bowl) will still restrict the
    flow of fuel.

Comment

Also, unless they are ripped to shreds probably don't need to replace the float bowl gaskets. They are just there to prevent slosh from seeping out. The fuel should never even get to that level. Mine are hard as rocks and probably the original ones from 28 years ago and they don't leak a bit.

Comment

To answer part 2 of your question. You can definitely make bowl gaskets yourself. Just a little time consuming & fiddly. With store bought gaskets in the range of $3or4 a piece, its hardly worth it. For more expensive and larger gaskets, I have been known to make my own, however. I just recently did a stator cover gasket and a clutch cover gasket for my Kat project bike. Easier to do with bigger gaskets I find.

A little tip for you too: If you smear both sides of the gasket with plain old grease, they will come off easier next time and can be reused. Don't glom it on , just a nice thin coat is all you need.

If you make 'em post a pic for us to admire.

cheers,
        Spyug

Comment

Originally posted by xgs550x View Post
          you can hopefully see in the crappy photo if it is a problem that the opening is much bigger than the ones in the other float bowls.
          clean it, flux it, solder it and drill/make* a small(er) hole. problem solved.

* I'm thinking a single bristle from a wire brush might work in a pinch...
          Last edited by rustybronco; 11-30-2009, 02:19 PM.
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. xgs550x,

I just wanted to say "Hi" and share my collection of GS stuff.

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

As for bowl gaskets, I went to AutoZone and got the gasket material they had on hand that was reccomended for gasoline. I think it might have been four or five dollars for a big ol' roll, and it was some kind of synthetic material.

I took the one gasket I managed not to destroy and traced it out onto the material, then took a very sharp X-acto knife and cut it out, making it a little bigger than I needed. Fit it to the carb, trim a bit here and there where I left slop, and then repeat for the other one. It probably didn't take 10 minutes to do each one, and I've still got lots of material for making anything else I need down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by fenderfreek View Post
                As for bowl gaskets, I went to AutoZone and got the gasket material they had on hand that was reccomended for gasoline. I think it might have been four or five dollars for a big ol' roll, and it was some kind of synthetic material.

I took the one gasket I managed not to destroy and traced it out onto the material, then took a very sharp X-acto knife and cut it out, making it a little bigger than I needed. Fit it to the carb, trim a bit here and there where I left slop, and then repeat for the other one. It probably didn't take 10 minutes to do each one, and I've still got lots of material for making anything else I need down the road.
                AHHHHH now that just warms my heart. Make sure to keep the gasket material in a safe place (don't pile stuff on it like I have) and you'll have any gasket you need for the next several years.

Comment

there is only one dumb question: "what time is the midnight buffet?"

Comment

Working...
                  X