No announcement yet.

GS550LX Engine rebuild dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, I used Threebond 1194. Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki dealers will probably stock an equivalent product if you don't want to wait for (or pay for) shipping for one tube of bond - though it'll probably cost you an extra buck or two. Beware anything from AAP or any other parts store unless it's made specifically for this purpose.

I haven't tried it myself, but I didn't think a kick-starter could be installed on the 80+ GS550 motors. There appears to be a casting for it inside the case, but I remember reading somewhere here that there was some other difference that meant it couldn't be done in the newer cases - even with the clutch cover and internals from a 77-79.

Even if I'm way off in my memory, you probably want to check the teeth on the starting pawl. The first couple years of GS550 used straight teeth on the crank and clutch basket, but they went to a slanted design later. Had to watch that when I was buying a used crank...

Comment

Lucky for me; I stopped by a old school autoshop during my lunch break and low and behold they carried the threebond stuff so thats off the list now.

I did notice that the contact gear teeth on the kickstarter was straight. I'll have to check when I get home

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
        Even if I'm way off in my memory, you probably want to check the teeth on the starting pawl. The first couple years of GS550 used straight teeth on the crank and clutch basket, but they went to a slanted design later. Had to watch that when I was buying a used crank...
        With due respect the teeth on the starting pawl has nothing to do with the teeth on the crank gear and clutch basket.

When the kickstart is operated the shaft engages the starter pawl through a rachet system which in then turns the large 1st gear on the drive shaft which turns it's mating gear which is a casting on the countershaft and the clutch which is on the end of this shaft rotates the crank via the teeth on the clutch basket.

The starter pawl gear does not come into contact with the clutch basket gear or the crank gear at any time, so it does not matter whether these two gear are cut straight or helical.

Hope that makes sense, I know what I mean, others might not.

A few pics for reference.

Some of the problems I had getting the screws out.

Last edited by Guest; 01-28-2010, 10:12 PM.

Comment

Sorry for the lack of updates, but I was recently giving the opportunity to work more hours so that took precedence over the engine rebuild.

Following my last update; I got myself a nice stick of threebond 1194 and couldn't wait to get home and reassemble the halves.

Well since I got back home and fitted the parts together with the kick starter shaft assembly; I noticed something wasn't looking right.

First off, the kick starter dropped in like nothing and everything fitted as if it was originally included. The sad part is that I'm missing the guide plate that mounts onto the crankcase behind the shaft.

You could see the plate in one of Suzuki-Don's picture sitting behind the shaft secured by two phillips screws and that is the part that I'm missing.

After a quick search on the net, it is safe to assume that the part is discontinued and that no retailer/reseller is stocking it.

Cycle-parts.com has one thats highlighter in green (assuming they have maybe one in stock) so I just placed my order with them. If its out of stock they will email me back and won't charge me or so they say.

But as of this point; the 1979 Shaft and Plate WILL FIT a 1981 GS550L! Which means YES YOU CAN DUMP THE EARLIER YEAR KICKSTARTER INTO THIS ENGINE. BUT IF IT WORKS OR NOT IS STILL YET TO BE TESTED.

My friend managed to drown my camera on his trip so I am now camera-less. However, I was promised a new camera so I will snap shots once I get it.

Suzuki-Don, do you have pictures of the kickstarter shaft with the spring attached? I'm looking at my assembly and want to make sure that I have the spring secured correctly.

Thanks!

Comment

Neeko, sorry I must have missed this post somehow. Been busy with my own project. Been spending too much time in the workshop and not enough on the FORUM it seems.

I am including all the pics I have on the kickstart removal replacement.

BTW the kickstart gear does mesh with the large driven first gear in the transmission at all times.

Last edited by Guest; 02-28-2010, 04:53 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X