gs850 6th gear problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
    "Most only go up to 10. These go up to 11".
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
      "Most only go up to 10. These go up to 11".
      Spinal Tap!

Great movie!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Spinal Tap RULES!

"So... these amps are louder?"
        GS850GT

Comment

Tell your friend to man up and twist the thingy on the right harder.

Life doesn't begin until 6,000 rpm, and the GS850 thrives on rpm.

I cannot for the life of me understand why so many GS850 riders are obsessed with chugging along at 2,000 rpm, but "how can I lower RPMs" is by far the most common n00b question related to the GS850. One of the most usable, smooth, flexible, and enjoyable engines in all of motorcycling, and hardly anyone wants to use more than a third of its potential. I don't get it. Maybe the Harley poison has seeped in too far.

Shift down, twist it up and enjoy the upper half of the tach. Believe me, it ain't gonna break, and you'll have a blast.

Yeah, these things do go to 11...
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Co-host of "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at tro.bike!

Comment

I fully agree. Many who are new to motorcycles just don't understand that, unlike their cars, they are designed to live at, and above, the mid-point on the tach.

Look at the number that is at the beginning point of the red zone on your tach. In top gear, running at half of that number will have you going slower than highway speeds.

And, this affects most older motorcycles. Even my GoldWing, which has a redline starting at 5500 rpm. 2750 rpm in top gear only gets me 60 mph. The newer super-bikes that are geared for 180+ will only be running at about 1/3 of redline at 60 mph, but they did not exist when our GSs were built.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yeah, in my travelling experience on my bike, I wrap out the gears quite often. But, the big problem is, I can only redline up to 3rd gear and even then I have to watch out for the LEOS because the speed limits on our state highways only go to 60 mph. When I get far enough south to hit an interstate freeway, then I can almost redline 4th gear......

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                Shift down, twist it up and enjoy the upper half of the tach. Believe me, it ain't gonna break, and you'll have a blast.

Yeah, these things do go to 11...
                WARNING! your tach may break if you spin the engine up that far too many times... anyone have a spare tach for a '82 850G? mine now reads a little off...
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                X