No announcement yet.

How do I break the tire bead before it breaks me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Take the rims in to a place with a bead break.

Take the rims to someplace with a tire machine. Tell them you want only the bead broken. If they give you the run around go to the next garage 2 doors down. I put my own motorcycle tires on. The first place I went to was happy to break the bead for free. I plan to buy a bead break of my own for future use. A big old C-clamp would work as well with a little modification.

Comment

Originally posted by daveo
      you can also use a crowbar to unseat the bead, how do you plan to seat the new tire bead? or is it a tube type ?Put on your safety gear of choice, nomex,goggles, thong or whatever and after making sure your valve stem is in place,(and junebug's in the house) using a flammable aerosol, give a shot around inside diameter of tire, then stand back, ignite the aerosol from can while pointing at tire, hopefully if you have enough in the tire, it will explode and blow the bead onto the upright side, you may have to do this once for each side, works good though as long as you don't do it in dry grass.....

Be sure to secure the rim before trying this method, it could go flying through the air

Comment

Simon just get the wife to sit on it no expensive contraptions needed :twisted:
        John.

Comment

now that could be fun :twisted:

Comment

I just take them to work... but I work at a garage with a tire machine. Most places will cooperate and help you out for nothing. Maybe a couple of bucks. As far as seating the bead, the flamable liquid is very dangerous, I've seen tires where people used TOO MUCH and blew the tire OFF the bead (It ripped the bead and launched off the rim) It would be a better idea to take it back to the garage with the tire machine, 175PSI at 20CFM will seat a bead pretty darn well in my experience. I've seated little tractor tires all the way up to 44 inch super swampers, so the tire machine is a sure fire way to get the bead seated without risking facial hair.

Comment

breaking the bead

get one of those old bumber jacks with the square bottom plate
              Lay the edge of the square plate on top of the tire by bthe edge of the rim
              put the jack under your bumber and jack away
              before the car or truck will lift the pressure will puh down the square plate and break the bead down
              I've done this numerous times and it works great

Comment

Working...
              X