kickstand question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kickstand question

Hey guys, my sig is my bike. When my bike is on the side stand, it leans a good amount almost as if it looks like it might fall over, but is really sturdy when it is down. Just seems like a lot of weight and pressure is on that kickstand and was wondering if there was a kickstand that I could buy that maybe had more of a vertical so that my bike wouldn't look like it was going to fall over. I do not have a center stand because of the v&h 4-1 exhaust. Thanks again.

How much play is in the kick stand?
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

there is no play on the bracket. bolts are tight.

Comment

I've seen where the stand goes into the bracket gets wallowed out, it has too much play and it leans the bike.
        Stay away from fresh tar!
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Lol. Thanks for the tip, but is there a different kickstand from a different year bike that I could buy that would maybe solve the issue? Even on compacted tar, it leans a good amount.

Comment

My '850gz leans a lot more than my '850gt. I'll compare the measurements on both and get back to you.
            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

you can always take it off and have a piece welded in at the top to extend the stand a bit and make it stand up straighter. Weld a piece in at the top where it wont be seen with the stand down.
              MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

make one, or get one made, or as mentioned, just get yours extended. it is so easy and you can get it perfect to your required needs
                1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Getting it extended is likely the easiest fix as the guys mention.

I have seen several methods of accomplishing this and I myself did one for my XS Tracker. What I did for that was get a piece of steel tube of a dimension suitable to slip up the stand once the "foot had been chopped off. I flattened the bottom part of the tube to form a new foot and bent it out about 75 degs. I inserted the old solid piece into the tube and welded it at the top. Not the best looking thing but it worked well.

Another approach is to weld a thicker pad to the foot of the stand. Some guys take a chunk of steel maybe 2 or 3 inches thick and weld it to the existing foot. You can grind it to shape.

Finding a longer stock leg might be more difficult in my mind as they all seem to be constructed differently.

Fab one up sir and join the "bodger" club

Cheers,
                  Spyug

Comment

Something is worn, something is bent, or something is off the wrong bike.

Why not find out which it is?

Posting a few pictures would be a good place to start.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have heard that suzuki never threw away anything and used what they had up before the new parts went into production.. For example i have the 77 and the 78 750s. They both have the exact same side stand. the blue 77 doesnt lean as far over as the 78 red one does..could this be a factor also..maybe..maybe not .
                      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

sorry I can't post pics because it is in my shed sleeping til it gets warm out. I just wanted to see if anyone knew off hand if there was a kickstand from a different bike that would be straighter than mine is. As far as I know, it is not bent.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny K View Post
                          sorry I can't post pics because it is in my shed sleeping til it gets warm out. ...
                          Cany you visit it without waking it up?

Measure the rear shocks. If someone put longer shocks on, it would lean over farther.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

From what I've seen, most GS's stand up too straight, straighter than Honda, Kaw, etc. I've seen many times, my local dealer lean a GS over on the sidestand, pull the handlebars to get the front wheel off the ground, put his foot into the center of the sidestand & bounce on it, to slightly bend it up, a little bit made a lot of difference & you couldn't even see it had been bent at all. I wouldn't think it would be any problem to lean the bike to the right & useing a pipewrench for leverage, slightly bend it down. Same process my dealer used only backwards. Just my opinion!!!
                            1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Just got done repairing mine. I had a friend awhile back bump and knock over my bike with his truck... Bent the @%$@! out of the side stand.. Had to do alittle fab work to get back into shape. Cut/grind/sand/WELD and now she work pretty good. It does seem to be up alittle straighter now... I might have added a 1/4-1/2 more and the top have of the piece I replaced is not hollow...Solid high quility steel... But anyway she looks good.
                              Last edited by Guest; 02-17-2010, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X