Tachometer Motor Mount

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tachometer Motor Mount

I recently bought an 81 GS850G as a project. I have it running good, but where the tach cable mounts to the motor the mount appears to be broken off the head. Can that mount be replaced or do I need a new head? It leaks just a bit of oil when the bike is running. I found a couple of heads on Ebay some show the part I am talking about others do not which I assume means it is a replacible part? I am getting pretty handy with repairs but am not sure I want to tear the head off. There is still the end of a pin that slides in and out of the head. Is that part of the head or part of an old cable that broke off?
    Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2010, 01:39 PM.

Welcome !!

We require pictures, you know......

Check this out, it may be helpful.

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

the tach cable mounts to a worm gear that's located in the valve cover, not the head.

pull the valve cover off (you wanted to do a valve adjust anyway) and see what's busted...

you can get replacement valve covers on e-bay, or perhaps here in the parts wanted forum
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. bigtuck21,

Most parts for these beloved bikes are still available OEM from any of the many vendor links in your "mega-welcome". The tach cable assembly can be repaired/replaced without too much effort. The tach cable drive gear is in the head, just below the valve cover. Mr. Larry D gave you the link to Mr. bwringer's guide to repairing this situation. It's one of the many rites of passage for us GS850G owners. You'll find lots of GS850G lovin' in the two links below.

Welcome to the forum. Come on in and make yourself at home! Let me say, "Howdy!"...

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Your right it is the Valve cover, which still scares me, never had overhead cams apart. I might just get it running good and sell it as is.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtuck21 View Post
            Your right it is the Valve cover, which still scares me, never had overhead cams apart. I might just get it running good and sell it as is.
            Hi,

Are we talking about a 1981 GS850G? You do not have to remove the cams to swap the shims. This is a shim-over-bucket engine. The tach gear should be in the head and not the valve cover. This is why the Real Gaskets (reusable silicon) work so well for these motors.

See the valve adjustment guide on my website for more information.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Huh ??

I'll bet a dollar to a doughnut that the tach cable needs some new seals, as described in the link I sent you. They all do. Just about anything rubber will be suspect after +- 20years.

So, now you think it's the valve cover that's leaking ? That's good, because you should adjust the valves anyway, which will require a new valve cover gasket after you're done.

If you want to keep the bike some regular maintenance will be needed. Before you decide to sell, take a few days and read over this and Cliff's site. With some time, money, a little wrenching and patience, you can be riding it for years to come.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Thank you

My thanks to all of you. Larry D, thank you so much for the link to those instructions. That makes this project far easier than I thought it would be. I only paid 100 bucks for this bike. The neighbor kid gave up trying to get it running. It is pretty nice. Fairing, hard lockable saddle bags and trunk. No idea what it is worth. Saw one online go for 3500 without the bags and such but the paint and everything was mint on that one.
                Last edited by Guest; 03-15-2010, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigtuck21 View Post
                  My thanks to all of you. Larry D, thank you so much for the link to those instructions. That makes this project far easier than I thought it would be.

It's like I always say.......Tying yours shoes is hard, if you don't know how.
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Larry D, I went out and looked again. The mount that holds the gearing inside is actually broken. The screw is there that is meant to hold it in, but the mount is gone from around the gear. It looks like the gear is broken off somehow. I will have to go out later and see if I can get a vise grips on it to pull it out. Regardless at least I know what I am looking at now. Hopefull I an get the OEM part this is missing or find it on this web site. Thanks again.

Comment

I guess the first question is...Do you want to keep the bike and fix it up ?

Hopefully you answered Yes. Sounds like a nice bike and you got it for next to nothing. Any of these bikes will take a little money and time to get it roadworthy. If you're willing to learn and wrench...we're here.

That part and everything associated with it is still availible from Suzuki. Look up your bike here. There are alot of parts places online to order from, I just picked this one.....If you have a local Suzuki shop close, usually you can order parts there and they won't charge shipping costs. Please check with your's to make sure.

OEM Parts for Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Can-Am, Sea-Doo, and Vanderhall

And here's how to post pics.....We NEED some pics, so we can all drool over your bike. Check out Cliff site completely, there's a ton of tutorials about GS's and 850's in particular.

Larry D
                      1980 GS450S
                      1981 GS450S
                      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Originally posted by Larry D View Post
                        We require pictures, you know......
                        Of the broken part this time...
                        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Keep it........

I am going to get it road worthy, ride it, and then decide. It would be nice to make the cash I would make on it, but I wouldn't mind having a second bike around either. My other bikes are an 02 Dyna Wide Glide with 82,000 on it "All my miles" and a 68 Harley Rapido, lol little 125cc two-stroke, that I have most of the parts for. I will post pics of the GS as well as the broken part on the link you provided when I tear into it again tonight. I really appreciate all the help. I may very well end up keeping it just for the support group. lol

Comment

Support group? Two Harleys? you'll need more than us...

JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Broken Tach Mount Pic

Attached "I think" is the picture of the broken Tach mount.

Comment

Working...
                              X