Less back pressure pipe = Lean 1150?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Less back pressure pipe = Lean 1150?

I was messin around with my Kerker pipe today (K-2 aluminum can). The way the can mounts to the S bend pipe is pretty hokey. It's always slipping back and the mounting bracket fits at an odd angle to the rear peg mount. So this led me to try a different Kerker pipe I had laying around.

I've already broken two of these pipes (thin gauge aluminum), so I have an old one that I cut down and used a Yosh sleeve with a FZ750 race baffle. The end cap is the same on both,
    maybe an 1 1/2'' diameter.

The FZ exhaust baffle is much larger so it feels more free flowin. I rode it today and when I would come to a stop the idle would hang up a bit. No hanging with the other pipe, which led me to believe it might be running leaner. I haven't checked the plug yet and the bike accelerated flawlessly through the rev range. It even seemed smoother at small steady throttle. Any thoughts on this?
    GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Yes, freer-flowing will be a bit leaner. Best to check your plugs before your accidently deposit some aluminum on them.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Carter Turk View Post
      I was messin around with my Kerker pipe today (K-2 aluminum can). The way the can mounts to the S bend pipe is pretty hokey. It's always slipping back and the mounting bracket fits at an odd angle to the rear peg mount. So this led me to try a different Kerker pipe I had laying around.

I've already broken two of these pipes (thin gauge aluminum), so I have an old one that I cut down and used a Yosh sleeve with a FZ750 race baffle. The end cap is the same on both,
      maybe an 1 1/2'' diameter.

The FZ exhaust baffle is much larger so it feels more free flowin. I rode it today and when I would come to a stop the idle would hang up a bit. No hanging with the other pipe, which led me to believe it might be running leaner. I haven't checked the plug yet and the bike accelerated flawlessly through the rev range. It even seemed smoother at small steady throttle. Any thoughts on this?
      More air out means more air in. Unless you have the fuel to match "said air out", you will be running lean.
      Everything else being equal, the flow path is what counts.
      If you have a measured path of, for example 15" and that is changed to 25 inches (baffeling and routing), the exit time per stroke changes, greatly.

In tuning two-stroke engines, this is the primary source of added power. YES, the two are not exactly the same, but they do sahre a common root.

Comment

What are you running for carbs and jetting?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Yes, freer-flowing will be a bit leaner. Best to check your plugs before your accidently deposit some aluminum on them.

Amen to that brother!
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Carter, reset the mixture screws & the idle issue will go away. You will need then to see if you have to adjust the needles & mains to compensate there also. Ray.

Comment

Chef,
              I'm running 90 gsxr 1100 carbs with factory jet kit and K&N pods. Middle clip on needle, 142.5 mains, 32 pilots and floats leaned a bit to keep from fouling plugs due I believe to the 15 degree angle of the carbs on a gsxr versus flat.
              GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                Amen to that brother!
                There's just something about being part of the "BTDT" crowd, isn't there?

I have never deposited aluminum on the plugs, but I did have a valve adjustment problem and did not realize it. It was compensated for with an adjustment to the fuel injection, but that made the mixture so rich that deposits formed on the pistons and valves. The buildup on the pistons eventually bent all six intake valves ever so slightly. Believe me, replacing valves in a Kawasaki 1300 engine is NOT cheap.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

There's just something about being part of the "BTDT" crowd, isn't there?

I have never deposited aluminum on the plugs, but I did have a valve adjustment problem and did not realize it. It was compensated for with an adjustment to the fuel injection, but that made the mixture so rich that deposits formed on the pistons and valves. The buildup on the pistons eventually bent all six intake valves ever so slightly. Believe me, replacing valves in a Kawasaki 1300 engine is NOT cheap.

How about deposited aluminum on the valve seats?

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    How about deposited aluminum on the valve seats?
                    Not me. It was just a lot of carbon build-up.

Do you know someone who has deposited aluminum on the valve seats?

sigpic
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride

Comment

As Ray said, the mixtures screws solved the hang up, but I first wanted clarify
                      the larger baffle makes a bike run leaner. This pipe is rather loud, so I might have to revert to the old one.

Comment

Working...
                      X