Bike idles at 6500RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike idles at 6500RPM

When I start the bike, the idle hits 6.5k and stays there. twist the throttle, it jumps to 8 or 9 very quickly. I just took the carbs off and cleaned them. I didn't mess with the jetting, other than raising the needle a couple notches due to an issue in the 3.5-4k range. If I lower the main idle, nothing happens. I had the fuel screws set to 1.5 turns out from loosely seated. I twisted those all the way back in, didn't bother the idle.
    It ran fan last year, except for the throttle response in the previously mentioned range.

Here's the set up,

'82 GS1100

Dyno Jet Stage 2 (on the bike previous to my cleaning.)

KN Filter (stock air box)

VH four 2 one exhaust

new o-rings all around. (boots too)

now, there is a piece of the foam missing from the top of the airfilter. Its about an inch long. Would that cause this effect? Why would none of my previous adjustments have any effect on the idle?

On the 450 when I had an air leak around one of my boots, adjustments to the idle would effect the idle.

I love to ride, but honestly wrenching frustrates me.....

check cable routing for binding?

my reason for asking is if the carb end of the cable was disconnected then it is possible that the cable got hung up on the twist grip cam.

most enervating and illogical but its happened to me all i did was push the cable in a bit to far to attach it to the carbs and voila.
    Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2010, 06:27 PM.

Comment

Check your choke cables, and seals. The choke might be open still, or needing adjusting.

Comment

For it to be doing 6,500 RPM at idle my money is on a cable problem, did you shift the position of the throttle on the bar? By rotating the throttle position towards the tank it can have the same effect as rolling on the power and increasing revs. Yes, I did this once when putting my 1100 back together after replacing the cable. Started the bike and revs jumped to 4,500 and I think my heart rate wasn't far behind.
        Shin-Ken 1074
        1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
        1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

The Previous Owner of my bike reinstalled the vacuum slides incorrectly which made it accelerate on it own. When I had cleaned carbs, I didn't disassemble the slides, figured they don't get gunked up. They have a little indented area where the rubber seal fits. On mine it was close but not in the groove. May want to double check, I pulled some hair out on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by waterman View Post
            The Previous Owner of my bike reinstalled the vacuum slides incorrectly which made it accelerate on it own. When I had cleaned carbs, I didn't disassemble the slides, figured they don't get gunked up. They have a little indented area where the rubber seal fits. On mine it was close but not in the groove. May want to double check, I pulled some hair out on that one.

My PO linked the bowls together on my 550ES. Id did about the same thing, except it would die with any throttle and idled at 4-5k. We pulled quite a bit of hair over that one too.

Comment

well.. i did pull the old grips off and put on a new set. At some point in the process I must've snapped a piece of the throttle tube. After everyone pointed at the throttle as the issue I pulled it apart. The place where the cable hooks into the tube busted, and a piece must've been blocking the tube from rotating properly in the right hand control.

grr..

what are my options as far as replacing the throttle tube?

From the parts fiche I have, all I see is grip, throttle. Does a GSXR one fit?
              Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2010, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Disconnect the throttle cable once, and see if it idles right now. This way you know for sure its the problem. I cant tell you if the GSXR cables work or not. I havent had te liberty of changing mine yet, just oiling it.

Comment

There is a pair of GS1000 NOS genuine grips "Made In Japan" on e-bay item # 260 556 628 147. Iam not involved with them, I found these when looking for a genuine set for my 1100. If you have trouble finding a set they may be an option for you depending on what you think of the price, they are BIN for close to the dealer price for genuine grips, at least with genuine NOS you should get 20 years use out of them!
                  Shin-Ken 1074
                  1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                  1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Since you need to change the tube...You could also do the R1 Throttle tube mod !!!

Comment

I'm going to cannabilize the throttle tube off the 450 then order an R1 tube.

Comment

Working...
                      X