#1 warms up slow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

#1 warms up slow.

While my bike is warming up it seems that #1 isn't getting hot. Once the choke is off, and I give it some throtle it comes alive. The bike runns fine after that.

I have recently gotten it back on the road and the carbs seem to be finally right. The intake system is also not leaking.

I have yet to check or replace any valve shims. This is the next thing I will get into. Is any thing else possible?

I think the coils are fine. The bike runs fine after its warmed up.

Re: #1 warms up slow.

Chances are good that the pick up tube for the choke on #1 is blocked.

Earl

Originally posted by chrisdnoel
    While my bike is warming up it seems that #1 isn't getting hot. Once the choke is off, and I give it some throtle it comes alive. The bike runns fine after that.

I have recently gotten it back on the road and the carbs seem to be finally right. The intake system is also not leaking.

I have yet to check or replace any valve shims. This is the next thing I will get into. Is any thing else possible?

I think the coils are fine. The bik
    e runs fine after its warmed up.
    Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

when did you last change your plugs??

Comment

I have a '85 GS550 L and have the same exact problem! Bike pops and backfires every so often with choke on and the pipe is colder in comparison that the rest, but once chokes off, its seems to be fine!

My plugs are brandy new and I know my entire carb setup is clean as a whistle!

Maybe it was something to do with the design of the motor? Who knows.....

my $0.02
        -al

Comment

Come on!! I have the same problem. I think it was the carb job I did last year in wifeys laundry room. Plug looks ok. :?

Comment

Hi chrisdnoel.
            Take the #1 plug out and see if it's dark or noticably richer than the others. If it is running too rich, replace it, or, clean and gap it and put it back in one of the other cylinders and take that cylinders plug and put it in #1. Now start the bike and see if #1 warms up like the others.
            The #1 cylinder is probably running rich all the time and laying a carbon/soot layer over the plug. When you start it with the choke, you are temporarily fouling the plug by introducing a very rich mixture to a dirty plug. The dirty/wet plug will make the spark track to ground instead of jumping the gap. Electricity will always take the easiest path. As soon as the engine starts making some heat, conditions are much better for good combustion and your plug will fire.
            There are a lot of reasons one cylinder can run richer than the others.
            The more common and easiest to check and fix are: bad connections at the coil/lead/plug cap, poorly synch'd carbs,(the one cylinder not in synch with the others), a damaged carb diaphragm, dirty air passages in the carb, a loose jet or incorrect jet size, float level incorrect or damaged float,
            or a worn float needle valve. It could also be a worn jet needle/needle jet (harder too tell), or poor cylinder compression.
            If you do not have a rich plug, then do as Earl said and check/clean your choke circuit.
            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I think maybee its the choke circuit.

I'm thinking it might be the choke circuit. I thought the carbs were clean. I dipped them and blew them out with compressed air. I even used a small syringe to make sure the cleaning solution was flowing through all the ports. I have switched the plugs around to see if the problem followed the plug, and the coil wires all test about the same.

Comment

Working...
              X