tire pressures for newer tires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

tire pressures for newer tires?

Does everyone run the original factory recommended tire pressures, and if not why?

I was wondering with the improvement in tires since my '81 GS650G was produced if I should adjust my pressures at all. Newer bikes (with radial tires) seem to recommend much higher pressures than the 25psi front and 28psi rear my manual advises, with a slight increase for "continuous high speed riding". I have a new Metzeler ME33 front and ME550 rear.

I run Standard tire pressures that the factory recommends 26 on the front and 28 on the rear..I run Michelin Macadam V rated tires

Comment

i find it depends on speed , temp, if you are solo or 2 up if you are in the twisty bits you might let a few pound out to heat the tyre up long runs at speed up a few pound cools the tyre recomended presure is a start point fine tune from there if you ride alot after a while you will pick the subtle changes when you alter the air in tyres ozman

Comment

Originally posted by Alwyn678
        I run Standard tire pressures that the factory recommends 26 on the front and 28 on the rear..I run Michelin Macadam V rated tires
        That's interesting, Al. The original front/rear recommended tire pressures for the 1983 GS750ES are 28/36 solo, 32/40 with passenger. Of course, the suspension setup for the 1983/85 GS750/700's is radically different from the preceding 750 models but I am still surprised at the large differences in recommended pressures.

BTW, I am also currently running a ME33 on the front, and a ME550 on the rear, like scaleautoworks. I have been using the originally recommended pressures but have wondered if they are a little high. What do you use on your GS700, Billy?

Finally, as an interesting sidenote, I noticed that my son's '02 SV650 calls for the same tire pressures whether ridden solo or two-up. :? Of course, the SV650 uses radials as OE.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon
          What do you use on your GS700, Billy?
          I'm running radials on GSXR wheels as you know. I've got 32 psi at both ends.

Comment

I run about 32 front and 36 rear. My Pirelli Match radial tires (newly installed just prior to my buying the bike) wandered horribly, following road grooves at the lower, stock pressures.

Comment

Simon, I have ME33 front ME550 rear on my GK. I found that 35psi on a warm rear tire is NOT a good pressure at high speed.

While travelling at about 150kph/95 mph I got a rear-wheel twitch while riding in a straight line, but in a strong cross-wind. When it happened the second time, (about 2 or 3 minutes later) I pulled it off the road for a tire check.

The tire was already warm, of course and I found it had 35 psi.

Boosting the pressure in the rear tire to have 40/41 psi when the tire is already warmed up keeps it stuck on the road.

At lower speeds I noticed no side-slip and/or twitch at all
              Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

ME33 and 55. 38psi both ends.

Earl
                Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Met me33 shop recomended 35 psi

Comment

I run 28/32 on my Cheng Shins.

Comment

I run 35 front and 38 rear on my 750L. I have found that my tires tend to wear funny on the outer edges if I run the stock pressures. This is looking a lot better so far with about 3k miles on this set of tires.

Most of my driving is on two lane mountain roads so my requirements may be a little different than some of yours.

Mike

Comment

I burned thru a couple rear tires running 38psi, in 3000mi or so, I increased the preassure to 43psi, and the tires are lasting much better, with no ill effects.

Comment

pressures

I was worried about the trade-off of a smaller contact patch vs. better stability and wear, but it looks like I'll be bumping mine up over the old recommended pressures. Thanks for all the input.

Comment

Dang you guys run some high tire pressures.......I think I may experiment with a bit higher and see how it feels

Comment

I should probably also qualify my pressure with the fact that, with my size, I probably fall into the '2 up' catagory of tire pressure.

Comment

Working...
                              X