Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

vents on carbs - help

Hey,

I'm tearing apart the carbs on my 1980 GS550L and have a question about the vents between the carbs. If you look on slide 003 of the carb rebuild thing on this site, one of the vents is pointed out. I have a vent on both sides (between carbs 3 and 4, and between carbs 1 and 2). My first question is what do these do?

Second, when I pulled my carbs off, one of the vents (between 1 and 2, I believe) had a hose on it that just dangled down through the bike and didn't attach to anything. Should this attach to something? And shouldn't there be a similar hose on the vent between carbs 3 and 4? How important are these hoses?

Thanks.

--Tyler

the vent hose dangle freely, they only connect to the plastic tee's the connect the carbs you speak of. all the vents and vent hoses do, is they allow the proper pressure to occure in the float bowl so that no vaccum can occur. basiclly lets the carbs drink as much gas as they want from the float bowls without have the carbs starve themselfs. just re attach every thing feel free to use new hose or old it really doesn't matter.

ryan
    78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
    82 Kat 1000 Project
    05 CRF450x
    10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

Also the hose is an overflow. If the carb overflows the excess gas will go out the vent hoses away from the engine

Comment

Atmospheric pressure being the case with the hoses....A question pops to the forefront.

Should the hoses be routed above the carbs or below them towards the ground with the other hoses?

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
          Atmospheric pressure being the case with the hoses....A question pops to the forefront.

Should the hoses be routed above the carbs or below them towards the ground with the other hoses?

Dm of mD
          below and to the rear of the engine, so if any gas escapes through then it will run out behing the engine.

Comment

Ah-ha! thank you. I'll route them that way when I get my new carbs on this saturday.

Dm of mD

Comment

Detman101, if I remember correctly, are'nt you installing pod filters? If so, you should remove the floatbowl vent tubes. This is a requirement with Dynojet jet kits. Varying degrees of fuel starvation will occur if you leave them on. The VM carbs experience fuel starvation a lot. The CV carbs may possibly be less effected, but maybe just as much.
              With the increased air intake, the floatbowl venting is inadequate. The only way we can increase the venting is by removing the resistance created by the tube. With the increased air intake, a vortex is created in the tube which hinders the venting ability.
              My '79 1000 will barely run with the vent tubes on. I did'nt like the idea of the exposed nipples at first, but I've had no problems with dust or anything effecting my carbs. I did'nt have a choice anyways.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

ALLRIGHT!!! This just keeps getting better and better!!!

I tell you, this bike just rocks.
                Thanks for the tip bud. I just paid for the carbs that will recieve the stage-3 jet kit. When the carbs get here I will have the kit installed in them then get the bike running and off to the shop for tuning.

Thanks again!
                Dm of mD

Comment

Working...
                X