Just One More Turn Signal Question!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just One More Turn Signal Question!!!

My bike is a 1978 GS1000. It has 54k and has seen quite a rough life, but it's coming together quite well. However, I've finally decided to tackle the turn signals. I replaced the originals with aluminum mini-stalks Lockhart/Phillips)(thanks Keith) and have completed the install.

Here's the Problem...

My right side blinkers work perfect, as well as the dash indicator light. However, my left side blinkers do nothing. No lights, no dash indicator, and no sound from the flasher relay.

I reversed the wires (+'s) and now the left side work, when the switch is moved to the "right", so I know my wiring is good. My next thought was it must be in the switch, so I disassembled and thoroughly cleaned the crap and corrosion out of the switch. Still no change.

So now, a couple of questions:

1. Is the culprit most likely a bad Turn Signal Control Unit? If so, where can I get one for a price that will not cause undo stress on my marriage? Are there any units from another year or modle that will work?

2. I've read some of SqDancerLynn1's posts on bypassing this unit all together. Fine by me, but I don't perfer to hold my thumb on the switch. Is there another way to use the stock switch and get normal turn signal operation? (I don't really care about the self-cancelling feature).

3. Is there anything else that I'm missing in my diagnosis?

Thanks for any input you guys have...

On my 83 GS 750 I had a directional problem, right side worked normal, left side only lit but did not flash. Problem was with the flasher, a 2 terminal unit. Bought a solid state replacement at Advance Auto Parts.

Comment

It was a while ago I had a similar problem. I had taken the wires out of the turn signal stalk to clean em up and I put the contact plate in backwards. I think I got dim running light but no flash.

Comment

Just some clarification...

My right sides work perfectly...The left side has NO LIGHTS whatsoever... not blinking, not glowing, nothing :?

Thanks

Comment

It's not the flasher. A two prong flasher does'nt know left or right, it either works both or neither.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I really don't understand how the auto cancel flasher stuff works so this may not apply but it is possible for the two wires connected to the single prong of the flasher to seperate. This will lead to the failure of one side of the blinker system. I had this happen to me during the summer on my 5 ton. The wires looked okay but inside of the connector there was corrosion which effectively seperated the two wires.

Steve

Comment

Just an update...

Got on the bike the day after I posted this...
              NOW NONE OF THE BLINKERS WORK!!!!!! HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ](*,)

Could this small, expensive, demon-possesed TSCU also be the reason that my low-beams work 5% of the time? (I haven't checked the schematic yet, just wondering out loud.)

Comment

Sounds like your problem may be in the switchgear. If you're having trouble with the headlights too I'd have a look at the switch.

Comment

Originally posted by Spit IX
                  Just an update...

Got on the bike the day after I posted this...
                  NOW NONE OF THE BLINKERS WORK!!!!!! HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ](*,)

Could this small, expensive, demon-possesed TSCU also be the reason that my low-beams work 5% of the time? (I haven't checked the schematic yet, just wondering out loud.)
                  The low beam problem is not the fault of the TSCU.
                  As for your signals working and then not working, left side,right side...I've been through the same stuff. The right side would work at one turn and stop working at the next turn. Left side ditto. Eventually got to the point where nothing worked. I inspected and re-inspected... Both times mine have failed, it was the TSCU. Plug replacement in, signals work.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Turn signal module

I built a replacement turn signal modual for my '79 GS850 from common parts purchased from Radio Shack. Cost about $15.00 when I made it 10 years ago. It has no self cancelling feature but works with the exsisting switch and flasher. If you are interested send me an e-mail and I can send you a schematic

Comment

Well at least i'm not the only one having a problem with my TSCU. Sorry to hear that man. From what you explained, your TSCU sounds like the problem with you turn signals. Unfortunatly I haven't found one for real cheap either. the cheapest one i found is on www.bikebandit.com for $300. Good luck in your search. If i find anything else i will let you know. If you find someplace that sells them for cheap would you please let me know also. Thanks

Comment

I've got a used one from my '80 1000E.

Comment

Hey wheelie do you know what if any differences there is between the 78 and 80 turn signal contol units are. From what i have seen in diagrams they look the same but they have different part numbers and there is about $150 difference in price. Would you be able to tell me what wires are on it, so i could see if they are the same or not. Thanks

Comment

I'll dig through the boxes and find the part. Then I'll compare it to the '78 manual and let you know.

Steve

Comment

check your ground on the non working side. i bet its broken or crudy.

fast way to check is to run a jumper wire from the bulb to ground at the rear and front bulb. next check and see if your getting a voltage at the bulb. if the anser is no, start tracing the wires from both front and rear. clean and or replace each connector you find. one may be croded.

thats all it takes for the turn sig to stop flashing is one bad connector or bad ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X