Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$400 for new starter? Does that sound right, guys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$400 for new starter? Does that sound right, guys?

Anyone know what a starter for my bike (1980 GS1100E) would typically cost? My mechanic said a new one would be around $400...and a rebuilt one $165. Does this sound right?

Thanks!

Rudi

For a new one, I wouldn't hesitate to believe the $400 price.

You can, however, go to eBay and get one for $50, usually much less.

The key is to know which starters will fit your bike. For example, a starter for a GS850G, any year, will fit any GS1000G or GS1100G or GK, any year. (In other words, all big GS shafties). I don't know about the 1100E model, but I suspect they're the same. Maybe someone else knows for sure.

Nick

Comment

Over the holidays my starter on a 82 GS1100GK started to gve me trouble. I got on e-bay and found one for around 59.00 and sent off my money and then realised it was in Quebec and would take a while to get here. I started tearing down my old starter, the shop had told me one of the magnets had come loose. I found my magnets intact and one of the guys there rebuilt in while I waited for 100.00. Three weeks later the other stater showed up from Quebec. It was from an 1150.

R

Comment

Re: $400 for new starter? Does that sound right, guys?

Originally posted by Rudedog_USAF
        Anyone know what a starter for my bike (1980 GS1100E) would typically cost? My mechanic said a new one would be around $400...and a rebuilt one $165. Does this sound right?

Thanks!

Rudi
        What wrong with yours? Maybe it just needs new brushes and clean up the commutator.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Re: $400 for new starter? Does that sound right, guys?

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE
          Originally posted by Rudedog_USAF

Thanks!

Rudi
          What wrong with yours? Maybe it just needs new brushes and clean up the commutator.
          I'm not sure what's wrong with it. When my uncle mentioned just having it cleaned, the mechanic just nodded as if to say, "that isn't a good idea". Very curious. However, the starter IS over 20 years old. It may be time to get a rebuilt one...

Speaking of rebult ones...are they just as good as the new ones?

Comment

will a 1977-80 GS750 Starter fit on my 1980 GS1100E? I found a couple on ebay and want to bid. Will wait for your answers, though....

Comment

I have had a couple rebuilt for under $100 recently. Look into a few rebuilders of car starters and generators. Naturally ebay is always a good source if you dont need it done yesterday.

Comment

I'm with slowpoke, Our local automotive starter / alternator rebuild shop, keeps the parts for many bikes. I think a lot of the parts are the same, for a lot of the bike starters. You can try cleaning the one you have, I had one giving trouble, sometimes it would start, sometimes it wouldn't. I took it apart & the inside was totally coated with carbon build-up. I cleaned it good, put it back together, and it was still working fine when I sold the bike a few years later. What have you got to loose?

Comment

Yes, it probably correct... but it doesn't sound right! 8O :?

Comment

Rudedog, just because a starter is old does'nt mean it's bad.
                    I took mine apart only because I wanted to learn how to work on it and I wanted to replace the brushes. I'm the original owner and after 24 years and 120,000 miles I was certain the brushes would need replacing. I was surprised to see the brushes had a lot of service left in them and I had no grooving or burning of the commutator, just some dust.
                    The starter is not difficult to work on if you have basic tools and mechanical abilities. If you try it and your's is similar to mine, I suggest buying a new o-ring for the shaft and new o-ring for the starter body. Clean up the commutator and smooth it with emery cloth if it needs it. Check the brushes for wear. If you have a manual, any good manual will show you what to do.
                    Your starter will not operate correctly with worn down brushes or serious grooving and dust on the commutator. These are the most common causes of a starter not working right. Brushes vary in price. Mine were only $12 from Suzuki and the 2 o-rings were cheap.
                    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I would go along with that - it certainly worth stripping down and giving it a clean and inspection. Electically there is very little to go wrong. When I first got my GS 550 (1981) the previous owner had just fitted a new battery but it soon became apparent why - it just would not start - sometimes a click - sometimes nothing. The bike had 39,000 miles on it and when I removed and stripped the starter which is quite easy to do , it was very dirty and the brushes were worn. I cleaned it all up with ethanol and emery papered the comutator. I replace the brush gear and plate with genuine suzuki ones and it now works sweet every time.
                      Also make sure the electrical connection to the motor is clean with no evedence of overheating - if so replace the crimp terminal with a good quality one.

Good Luck

Comment

That can't be right?! I paid that much for my GS750L!!!

Dm

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                          That can't be right?! I paid that much for my GS750L!!!

Dm
                          I know it! But it appears that is what a brandnew starter for a GS1100E costs...really expensive...

Comment

What does a new starter have that an old one doesn't? New brushes and a smooth commutator (put yours on a lathe if its really bad) without any shorts or grounds (pick the bits out with a knife). Okay, a bearing and a few seals too. If you buy the parts you need you'll be much better off.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                            X