What makes a new speedometer "tick"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What makes a new speedometer "tick"?

I bought an NOS speedometer, still in its factory box. It just came yesterday, so I tested it and it works but it ticks. The faster you spin the wheel the faster it ticks. It's kind of funny that the reason I bought it was because my original has been doing the same ticking sound for a few years now and I took this as a sign it's going to fail. Now I have 2 that tick except the new one is actually louder. :roll:
    Has anyone ever taken a speedo apart (any speedo,car,etc,but not Haps 8O )? What's inside that would cause a ticking sound? A slight misalignment or?
    And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
    Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

One reason for ticking is the speedo cable end has worn, allowing movement in the speedo end where it contacts the drive. Does the speedo cable move smoothly? Mine does not tick, but the trip meter keeps on turning over the 100 numeral every 10 kms...annoying!!

Comment

I think you cable is on its way out
      .does the rithem of the tik goes up and down with the speed of themotorcycle? if it does then it is the cable.

Ard24

Comment

Years ago I was told it was a switch that the self cancelling turn signals used to tell when the bike was going fast enough and/or traveled far enough to cancel. Details on this are very fuzzy this morning.

Comment

Originally posted by saaz
          One reason for ticking is the speedo cable end has worn, allowing movement in the speedo end where it contacts the drive. Does the speedo cable move smoothly? Mine does not tick, but the trip meter keeps on turning over the 100 numeral every 10 kms...annoying!!
          Thanks for the replies. I do have the original cable on the bike. It seems to move freely. I can't tell if it's worn or not, it looks OK. My original speedo ticks lightly, the new NOS speedo a little louder, but a third used speedo I tried did'nt tick at all. I wonder if I run the NOS speedo
          it might quiet down after a while?
          Saaz, ard, the rhythm of the tick does increase with the wheel speed. Can you explain how a worn cable, allowing movement, results in a tick-tick-tick sound?
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Does any shop repair Japanese instruments? I tried all the small ads in the back of the bike mags, did web search etc., can't find any. My tach and speedo are both starting to wobble.

Comment

Working...
            X