Tire Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tire Size

How critical is it to stay within the tire size specs from Suzuki?

I'm having trouble find the rear tire in a 110/90 or 120/90. It actually has a 130/90 on it now. Does it realy matter? It seems to ride fine to me, but I've only been riding since July.

Terry

What kind of bike are you on?

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Garry
      What kind of bike are you on?
      82 GS650G.

Thanks,

Terry

Comment

If you visit a site such as Dunlop or Bridgestone, look around and you'll find a chart that will tell you the maximum width tire you can put on a given rim. My bike came with a 4.50x17 rear, which is about 114mm. I now have a 130mm tire and it was Ok according to their chart. My 16mm wider tire is about 2/3" wider. I would like to try a 140mm but I think the tire would start grazing the chain and I don't want to do something unsafe.
        A wider tire looks cool but proper seating of the tire bead is more important.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

One size up is fine. Any further than that and you start changing the shape of the tire's crown. The tire gets more triangulated because the sidewalls are being pinched too much. You actually end up with a smaller contact patch with the bike upright than with the stock size and when leaned over the sidewalls will flex too much and give a squirmy ride.

Comment

Hi Keith Krause.

Is it really 4,5 inches? The optimal tire for that is a 160. I use a 160-60/17 on my rim. Recommended that is.

Comment

4.5 is the actual tyre width. The rim is 2.15

Comment

MT66 ROUTE FRONT 120/90S17 TT

Our Price: $64.00
                I think you need 17" tires, right? www.discountmotorcycletire.com has the above. (In their search box, just type in 120/90, then scroll through the results for all ending in "17".

Some other links to check would be:

A chart you can use to see what is acceptable for what rim you have is:

http://www.dtmaonline.com - (click on top where it says "Sizing Charts", then go down to "tire width comparison")
                Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
                "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
                1982 GS1100E
                1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Originally posted by chrille_08
                  Hi Keith Krause.

Is it really 4,5 inches? The optimal tire for that is a 160. I use a 160-60/17 on my rim. Recommended that is.
                  4.5" is the outer width of the stock tire. I now have a 130mm tire.
                  25.4mm= 1". If I tried to put on a 160mm tire, it would be hard against my chain. I think a 160mm is unsafe to put on a stock '79 GS1000E mag wheel. Your '83 1100 may have wider wheels than mine.
                  And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                  Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                  X