axel pinch bolt stripped, any advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

axel pinch bolt stripped, any advice?

I took off the front wheel and discoverd that the pinch bolt was stripped. I tried to fix the threads, but to no avail. Any ideas on the next step? Is it off to a machine shop to repair/replace the the stripped stud?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

Re: axel pinch bolt stripped, any advice?

Originally posted by linksl1
    I took off the front wheel and discoverd that the pinch bolt was stripped. I tried to fix the threads, but to no avail. Any ideas on the next step? Is it off to a machine shop to repair/replace the the stripped stud?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

It is a stud that can be removed and replaced.

Do not re-thread to a smaller size as that would cut down the strength of the metal, and this is NOT an area where you want reduced strength.

Replace it.

Removing it is simple: grab the stud with a set of Vice-grips and turn it out.

When replacing it, be sure to use a medium-strength thread locker, such as Loctite Blue.
    Bertrand Russell: 'Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education.'

Comment

And when you re-tighten, always tighten both nuts uniformly. The gap between the holder and the fork leg bottom should be the same on each side.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I didn't realize that the stud could be replaced. That makes things a lot easier to deal with. Thanks for the good news.

Steve

Comment

Working...
        X