'80 GS850 Headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'80 GS850 Headlight

Have had my '80 850G (850GT) for ten years now. It has a sealed beam headlight which seems like a faint yellow glow compared to a halgon. Recently I see in my Suzuki manaul that the halogen headlight is one of the several new updates on 1980 from 1979, but I have a 1980 with a sealed beam, huh? what?.
    I know previous owner had a full windjammer fairing (with own headlight) on the bike at one time, so maybe in putting that on and taking it off the original headlight got replaced with this sealed beam.
    - Can anybody verify that 80 GS850G should have halogen? My manufacture date is 11/1979.
    - Might the headlight be a mid-year change? Or did Suzuki not do mid year changes? And might there also need to be a differernt stator-RR-charging system also? (sealed beam is 50/35 watts, H4 Halogen is 60/55).
    - Any comments about swapping out the sealed beam with the halogen H4 glass/bulb? (I just bid on a headlight from 82 GS650 that seems to be same physical size but Halogen H4)

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

I dunno about the sealed beam type headlights but I switched from the stock h-4 unit to one of those Sylvania Silverstar h-4 units and it's like I have the sun inside my headlight bucket. I can see as well as with my super-white led flashlight! It's literally like going from night to day!

Dm of mD

Comment

The 1980 GS850 has an improved stator over the 1979 stator (18 coils rather than 12). So, it's perfectly fine to have a halogen headlight. Go ahead and make the move. You should have no problem at all.

Nick

Comment

Suzuki makes lots of mid year changes. Sometimes a few changes on one part! There are 3 different cam sprocket set-ups for my 1100. If you ever track down a factory manual (or a fiche but less reliable) it will show you which frame or engine numbers are effected by a change.

Steve

Comment

Halogen

I feel certain your bike came with a halogen lamp when it was new. I had the same problem when I got mine. The original owner had put a fairing on it with its own lamp. I found one on Ebay and notice that they're on there fairly frequently.

I'm interested in DM's Sylvania Silverstar.....they sound great!!
          1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Update here:
            Yup, Got the headlight assembly from a 82 GS650. Took out the glass part and the H4 bulb, and they fit well in my headlight rim/ring. And charging system/battery still at 13.5 to 13.9vdc (maybe it will get up to 14 if given enough time).

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
            X