idle rpm's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

idle rpm's

My GS850 Limited starts and runs great but I'm wondering if 2000 rpm idle is harmful to the engine. The idle stays at 1100-1200 until I've ridden 15-20 minutes then while stopped at a light the rpms are up to 2000. It never idles any higer but I'm wondering if this will cause me trouble. There is a "clunk" when shifting into 1st gear. Probably a silly question, but, if I can't ask it here.....where?

2000 rpm is way too high. I would want it to be around 1000 to 1200. Some people set it around 800 but I posted an idle rpm queation a few weeks ago and the general consensus was around 1000 rpms.

If your rpms are jumping up after the bike is warmed up, wouldn't that mean that your choke is still on? Can you verify that your choke is functioning properly and if you use it to start, are you shutting it off after it warms up or is it really shutting off if and when you turn it off?

Here's my post.........

Comment

Re: idle rpm's

The proper way to set the idle is to ride the bike or run the engine until it is at full operating temperature. Then you set the idle to 1200 rpm. You do not set the idle with the engine cold. Go for a 20 minute ride, then stop and set the idle. Problem solved.

There is a clunk because your idle is set too high. There isnt supposed to be a clunk. A clunk is not a good thing.

Earl

Originally posted by lonestar
      My GS850 Limited starts and runs great but I'm wondering if 2000 rpm idle is harmful to the engine. The idle stays at 1100-1200 until I've ridden 15-20 minutes then while stopped at a light the rpms are up to 2000. It never idles any higer but I'm wondering if this will cause me trouble. There is a "clunk" when shifting into 1st gear. Probably a silly question, but, if I can't ask it here.....where?
      Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

I would rather sit on a pumpkin and have it all to myself than be crowded on a velvet cushion. H.D.T.

Comment

Re: idle rpm's

Originally posted by lonestar
        If your bike idles about 1,100 rpm when cold and then idles at 2,000 rpm once warmed up, you have a classic case of an intake leak.
        You can try tightening the rubber manifold clamps first and see if that fixes it. Also, inspect the manifolds for signs of cracking/hardening. After warming it up, if you mist-spray some water on the manifolds and you hear the rpm's drop, that's telling you they are leaking. This test does not always expose the leak though.
        The most common cause of an intake leak is the o-rings in the manifolds failing. If you need to replace them, coat the new ones with hi-temp bearing grease and torque them to about 6 ft/lb.
        The high idle is most likely the cause of the clunky shifting too.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

I wouldn't worry about the clunk when you put the bike into gear. I haven't seen a bike that didn't make some sort of clunk or click when you shift from neutral to 1st. Its just the nature of the beast. I work with a guy that has a brand new Harley that makes a slight clunk when he puts it in gear. My 82 GS850 does it too.

Comment

Working...
          X