No announcement yet.

GS Self Cancelling Indicator Control Unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, I've put together a rough hand-drawn schematic of a simple replacement for the stock ICU for a 1978 GS1000E.

The drawing has been scanned to a jpeg file and you can save the pic or print it right from Internet Explorer.

I haven't tried it out yet but, I will in a couple of days. It should work just fine. The circuit uses the existing wiring and flasher circuit.

It should work like this;

To signal a turn, slide turn signal switch to right or left and release. Right or Left hand turn signals should flash and continue to do so until the cancel button is depressed.

All you need to do is solder wire pigtails to the relay sockets and connect to the existing wiring per color coded refrences on schematic. If in doubt, refer to your wiring diagram in your service manual. The existing connectors on the motorcycle will have to be removed (keep em for future use).

There is no other way to get the turn signals to flash if your existing ICU has been removed or is broken on a GS1000E or S model originally equipped with the Indicator Control Unit. The flasher is routed thru the ICU and does not work if the ICU is gone!

I have read other posts in the tech section describing the problem of the turn signals staying on solid and not flashing when the turn signal switch is activated.

This relay set-up should cost around $40.00 to put together. I would just wrap all three relays with a large rubber band and then tie wrap them to the battery case or other convenient point. Or you may get fancy and stick them in a waterproof box but, I don't think that's necessary.

Good luck.

Comment

Another supplier

Here's a link to another product:

Manufacturing Motorcycle Safety products in the USA for nearly 25 years!

SV

Comment

That's an option. Still very limited and not user friendly.

Thanks SV.

Comment

I'd rather use hand signals than that thing.
          Signal buttons on each side of the bars? Press and hold a botton and sub-consciously count to 1, 2, or 4 seconds depending on the situation? The added distraction could get you in an accident.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

James I am currently replacing my control unit on my 79 gs1000L.i found one on ebaY.Got it for 20.00 .Anyway if you want to experiment on my old one i'd be willing to send it to you.It was working on right side but not on left and i had to manually cancel.Let me know

Comment

All you guys seem to be pretty familiar with the auto cancel feature on the Suzuki's I have a 81 Suzuki GS850GL. My directionals were working fine, but my horns had stopped I checked everything but the problem ended up being the horns were shorting, solved that with a simple trip to autozone so now I have a high and low note car horn set up. Its the cheapest thing that would bolt up to the existing mounts.
              Anyways, what I had done is take the direction switch apart in order to clean the horn contact since a spider had built a web in there, thinking it was causing the problem. When I put it together I forgot to put the small springs back into the switch. I believe these are what keep the switch from staying in one spot.
              My question is do any of you have a quick and dirty sketch of how these springs go back into circuit board? Right now I'm controlling it manually, but its awkward because it needs to be in just the right spot or I may end up hitting my high beams or no signal at all.

Thanks.
              Dave

Comment

Good stuff James. If my controller dies, this is what I planned to do.

Linky no worky however!

Comment

This simple system will be adequate until I design and build a microcontroller based system that will have the following features:

1. Speed sensistive self cancelling turn signals.
                  2. Half bright running lights.
                  3. Speed sensitive brake light modulator.
                  4. 4-way emergency flasher.
                  5. Easy integration.
                  6. Target cost of less than $200.00

I've already begun designing it.
                  anything happen to this replacement?? i'm interested in the kit.

Comment

Self cancelling turn signals

Hey anonymous. I took the ones off my 1981 GS 850G. Don't know if they are the same. They are yours for the price of shipping. Ping me off line if you wnat the things. I hated them.

DH in Maryland\\
                    \
                    suzukizone@yahoo.com

Comment

Working...
                    X