1981 GS750 won't start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 GS750 won't start

Hey everyone, I've been looking around your site for a few days. My uncle recently sold me my first bike. It's a 81 gs750, has been sitting for about 3 years in the weather. He said it was running fine a few years ago, but had no time for it. I don't really know much about motorcycles, so I'm having a time trying to get it to run. I figured I would try my luck at starting it. Of course luck would not be on my side. I finally got all the lights and the horn to work, but no power to theNow remember I don't know much about bikes, so my question is pretty silly. My cousin robbed the clutch lever off to put on his bike, so will my bike not start because of this or should I get out the trusty multimeter? The neutral light is coming on when I turn the key, so it should be in neutral, right? How would I bypass this to get it running?

Sorry I cut myself off.......There's no power to the start button.

Comment

Yes

Yes, that's most likely your problem and I commend you for thinking of it. You could bypass the switch easily enough but I think I'd just go get another clutch lever....you're gonna need it anyway!
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Re: Yes

Originally posted by chuckycheese
        Yes, that's most likely your problem and I commend you for thinking of it. You could bypass the switch easily enough but I think I'd just go get another clutch lever....you're gonna need it anyway!
        Depending on how careful his cousin was pulling the lever, he may need to bypass the switch anyhow (eg if the lever-side contact is broke or missing)...

Follow the pair of yellow wires from the clutch lever into the headlight... Unplug the 2 yellow wires & plug the wiring-harness side wires (the ones that plugged into the wires coming from the clutch lever) together...

Comment

Working...
        X