Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uh-oh Damaged a part in one of the carbs... need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, to clear it up, I was the one who broke off the tip. It was 100% perfect when I pulled out the jet, and when I put it back in I overdid it and EITHER smashed OR broke the tip off in the carb. Not sure if its broken or smashed as I havnt looked really hard at it.

Here is a picture where the jet went to clear up any confusion as to how I should set it. It is within the float bowl, and maybe with this we can start calling it the right item

Comment

OK. The tip is broken off, not smashed down. You'll have to get a replacement carb body. Get the same # carb and make sure the replacement has the two pilot circuit holes entering the throat. Drilling will only result in the hole being too large and you'll possibly foul that sparkplug from the too rich mixture.
      If you decide to run the bike as is, that cylinder will run leaner at idle and lower speeds. The bike won't start as easily and you can expect some "spitting" out of that carb and slower warm ups, especially on colder mornings. But with the other three cylinders good, the bike will run. So you don't have to rush out immediately and find another carb.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

chuckycheese...Thanks!
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

you may still beable to remove the tip of the needle valve. look for the small hole just inside, with a small wire and a bit of wd40 you may beable to pop it out.

the next hard part is finding a replacement for the needle valve. thay are hard to come by. most parts yards have been hit hard. I know from hunting them up for every one else.

the last one i had to hunt up was for a yam, if i had the right tools i would of made a few hundred of them and sold them.

Comment

For ages now, I've offered O-ring kits for the CV carbs. Since late winter, after reading about the 1,000th request for O-rings from owners of older bikes, I started assembling a kit for the VM's.

The kit is done, and ready.

It consists of 32 O-rings in six sizes, which is what would be required to change out every O-ring on a whole bank of 4 carbs, if it used 12 fuel tube O-rings. (Some use 12, some use 8 and apparently, some don't use any at all.)

I'm very confident that they fit just right, but they haven't been tested yet on an actual running motorcycle, since I don't own one of that vintage. My volunteer testers have been sidelined for a while, so there has been some delay in introducing this kit to the general rampaging hordes.

The price will be $16, and they're available now to anyone who understands that they might be serving as 'beta' testers. I'll have neat-o pictures soon, but for now, if you are seriously in need of VM O-rings, I can supply them.

RB

Comment

Wow...you guys are really great. Im gonna either go pick up a set of picks (or borrow my friends) and use the WD-40 trick and try to push the piece down (and out) using the tiny hole in the carb "tunnel" (for lack of a proper word). Hopefully it will come out and be fine, then I am gonna take the needle jet to Roseville Cycle and see if they can find a replacement. If that works, I will at least have a set of working carbs for the bike, and even if one cylinder does run a tiny bit lean its ok. It never gets really cold out here in Cali, and I have never even had the bike running, so ill just be happy when she fires up.

As for the O-rings, I very well may get some. Even if they arent 100% perfect, im sure theyre better than coated over (with some wierd sticky stuff) and WELL used ones.

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr
                For ages now, I've offered O-ring kits for the CV carbs. Since late winter, after reading about the 1,000th request for O-rings from owners of older bikes, I started assembling a kit for the VM's.

The kit is done, and ready.

It consists of 32 O-rings in six sizes, which is what would be required to change out every O-ring on a whole bank of 4 carbs, if it used 12 fuel tube O-rings. (Some use 12, some use 8 and apparently, some don't use any at all.)

I'm very confident that they fit just right, but they haven't been tested yet on an actual running motorcycle, since I don't own one of that vintage. My volunteer testers have been sidelined for a while, so there has been some delay in introducing this kit to the general rampaging hordes.

The price will be $16, and they're available now to anyone who understands that they might be serving as 'beta' testers. I'll have neat-o pictures soon, but for now, if you are seriously in need of VM O-rings, I can supply them.

RB
                I'll be rebuilding and installing a jet kit on a set of VM26SS carbs for a member here as soon as he sends me all the parts. I just sent a payment to you for the o-rings on his behalf. So when they're done you'll get some test feedback.

Comment

dont use a pick, you need a tip cleaner for a blow torch. thay are small steel wires. be very carefull when trying to push out the broken tip.

Comment

Working...
                  X