Options for safe trip home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Options for safe trip home

On picking up this 1978 GS750, I am going to check the stator output. If it is below factory spec (80 VAC @ 5500 RPM) should I bother risking my "insurance" Electrex R/R to get me home, or would it have a chance of frying, and should I use the stock R/R? (If the stator checks out good I will replace with Electrex at that moment)

I would also like to unearth a topic regarding connecting the power lead from the new R/R direct to battery. More than one member has suggested this but a staunch single member recommended running it through the stock connection, through the main fuse. May I ask everyone's opinion on this again?

Thank you for any help! I can't sleep, thinking about this stuff is keeping me up...

It will work either way there is some question as to whether the reg might draw a very small current being that it is connected all the time and drain the battery, the fues is also protection for the rest of the wiring harness. The main thing is to eliminate the stator loop thru the harness for the light switch and make sure to have a very good ground for the reg

Comment

It's been over 4 years since I installed the Electrex RR. I remember I had a problem wiring it (the red lead). I connected it through the main fuse and it blew my fuse. I called Electrex and asked what I did wrong. They said don't connect it that way (I thought that's what the instructions showed). They said connect it directly to the battery. Everything works fine and my battery lasted as long as the previous batteries, about 5 years total. The stator loop through the light switch is now eliminated and I've installed the extra ground as SqDancer said.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

OK thanks guys. Good to hear some positive news. How would I connect it to the battery for the trip home? What kind of connection is it? I could jury rig something with electrical tape and creative wire twisting, but I'll eventually move to connector/wire nut/solder... The thing is that if the stator is still good, I'd want to keep it alive

16,500 miles on the bike

By the way, what kind of fuses are on this bike? I know 15A for the main and 10A for the rest, but which style: AGA, AGB, AGC? Spade? Bullet?

Comment

I did'nt actually look at the fuses on my bike, but the box of 15A in the garage say AGC, the glass tube type. I've only replaced a few of them in the 25 years I've owned the bike.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Son of a

Electrex just e-mailed me saying the R10 R/R is on backorder... I will have to ride the bike home in questionable reliability. Again, the charging symptoms are:

the battery will charge at around 13.8-14.4 volts from 2500 to 3000 rpms

the voltage then begins to drop around 3500 and at 5000 there is a loss of a couple of volts, to 12.7-12.3 volts.

I don't think this will fry my stator for the 1.7 hours it will take to get home but it may leave me stranded with a dead battery if I don't occassionally go 50 mph in 5th. I will check the ground for the R/R currently on the bike and attempt to strengthen it. Beyond that, is there anything I can do?

Thanks for any advice

Comment

I thought you already have an Electrex R/R? Anyway, I don't consider myself smart enough to answer your charging question. I will say the extra ground is a good idea. If you have an on-off switch for the headlight, would it help to keep it on in this case, or would off be better? It may also help if you remove the side cover so the R/R will run cooler with the wind going through it ???

Comment

I PRACTICALLY had the Electrex R/R. I really wasn't expecting a back order. It completely ruined my plans!

I talked to Electrex and one representative said I could order the part through Denniskirk. If I use next-day shipping I could have it by Friday at this point. It's my last chance.

One member said the solution to a charging problem like mine was a bad ground so I hope that's it. In any case I will do as you suggest, taking the side cover off.

I'm not sure which one it was either, headlight on or off... I think headlight on is the safe option. I don't have much of a choice, too--the headlight on/off switch is frozen/pinned into the ON position! I hope this works.

Where does the third phase wire go into the wiring harness, so I can snag that quickly? I know where the other two are, right at the R/R.

Thanks again

Comment

Not positive about the color coding on your 750, but on my '79 1000 the third wire is green with a white tracer. Mine goes from the alternator straight to a connector in the rubber boot bundle just behind the battery.
                  From there it goes to a multiple connector under the tank. It exits this connector as a white with green tracer and goes straight to the light switch.

Comment

Working...
                  X