Urgent question- carb synch tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Urgent question- carb synch tool

I need to buy a carb synch tool- Dennis Kirk has one from Motion Pro for about $40. They also sell adapters for 5mm and 6mm. Do I need these? I need to get it overnighted today!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

The motion pro unit I bought came with the 5mm adapters, which worked for the (80)550, 700, 750, 850, and 1150, but the (83)550 required 6mm.

Comment

Sweet. Nothing like waiting until the last minute to get the bike ready for this weekend!
      Currently bikeless
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I have a set you could get for less. Mercury is in a seperate vial. No instructions when I got the set. Don't need them for my carbs.

Comment

Have you checked locally? There may be a shop in town that can sell you one without having to overnight it. One of the forum users posted within the last week that they'd purchased the MP tool at their local Suzuki dealer for 39.99.

Comment

Or you could always ride up on Friday, check out the races, and sync the carbs after at my place.

Comment

Or you could always ride up on Friday, check out the races, and sync the carbs after at my place.
              That's an idea- I'll have to do it on Friday anyway because they can't air ship the tool (mercury). I just was hoping to have things buttoned up on it before I hit the road Friday. My bike sputters and stuff at take off and it sucks. Might not even be the synch- but I don't know.
              Currently bikeless

Comment

Get the JC-Whitney carb synch guages...

Better than the mercury tool, and you don't have to worry about (ugh) mercury getting sucked into the motor...

Comment

If you have the time, pony up and get a Morgan Carbtune! Probably a tad expensive now that the exchange rate is over 1.8 but a really, really, really nice setup.

By the way, did I say it was a nice setup?

Kenny

Comment

I can second that one, I have one and it is THE tool

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_A

Better than the mercury tool, and you don't have to worry about (ugh) mercury getting sucked into the motor...
                      You don't want to be messin' with Mercury, evil stuff that. [-X
                      Kevin
                      E-Bay: gsmcyclenut
                      "Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff." Frank Zappa

1978 GS750(x2 "projects"), 1983 GS1100ED (slowly becoming a parts bike), 1982 GS1100EZ,
                      Now joined the 21st century, 2013 Yamaha XTZ1200 Super Tenere.

Comment

I third the vote on the Morgan. Just a warning though, we had a hell of a time getting one from them. The best way to get one of these is to go to Carbtune's website and find an email address for the rep in Great Britian. He was the only way we finally got one of these. 6 days from over there, cost about $130 with the soft cover case and adaptors. I have never used mercury so I can't bash them but I do know this is the cat's a$$!!
                        Bob

Comment

Originally posted by Dave_A

God, don't remind me. I very much prefer slider syncro tools now. I used to think mercury was the bomb until SLUUURP and it's empty.

Comment

I purchased my Carbtune directly, came in a little over 1 week. Since the exchange rate was lower at the time, it was about $90 with all the adaptors and carbtune (they didn't have the case at the time, bummer!).

You will not be disappointed with your purchase. Its like buying a Milwaukee drill compared to a standard line Black and Decker. They will both do the job, but the Milwaukee will last your lifetime plus and the Black and Decker will work but frustrate you when you really need it.

Kenny

Comment

I've only read good things about the Morgan Carbtune II. I'm getting one shortly. Luckly I have a neighbour who's going to Belfast, where they're made, in a couple of weeks. I can't wait.

Comment

Working...
                              X